Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Patrick Flaherty <pf...@rampageinc.com> on 2013/03/19 20:24:07 UTC

Upgrading Tomcat in the customer base

Hi,

We deploy tomcat in our own folder (c:\rsi_tc\tomcat) on a WIndows
machine as a service. We use the service.bat to install
as a service. Historically to update tomcat we would remove the
current version and install the new version. There is rub in all
this which we have to change the service login to be an account that
can access files from a network share. Therefore when
we upgrade tomcat, we remove the current version and install the new
version and then someone ( the customer :-(  ) has to
go into the service and change the service login back to the account
that will give them access to the network share.

I'm looking for a way (if possible) to avoid having the customer to
have change the service login. I'm looking for suggestions
to make this easier and have the following questions about whether
some of my thoughts to make it easier are safe.

1. Can I *not* uninstall the service and just replace the folder
structure on the file system with the new version? I have tried it
     and it seems to work but question whether or not it is safe. I
know if a major version changes I cannot do this as the service
     calls tomcat6.exe vs tomcat7.exe for instance and therefore would
have to do the complete uninstall/install.

2. If I do the above does calling the "service.bat install" again
using the *newer* service.bat version make a difference? We are
calling it (the newer service.bat)
     and it seems to be harmless and thought that it might help in
case something in the batch install changed, we would get the changes.

Bottom line, has anyone faced this dilemma and found a successful way
to upgrade a tomcat instance that uses a unique service login.

Thanks for any input.
Pat

Re: Upgrading Tomcat in the customer base

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Pid wrote:
> On 19/03/2013 19:24, Patrick Flaherty wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We deploy tomcat in our own folder (c:\rsi_tc\tomcat) on a WIndows
>> machine as a service. We use the service.bat to install
>> as a service. Historically to update tomcat we would remove the current
>> version and install the new version. There is rub in all
>> this which we have to change the service login to be an account that can
>> access files from a network share. Therefore when
>> we upgrade tomcat, we remove the current version and install the new
>> version and then someone ( the customer :-(  ) has to
>> go into the service and change the service login back to the account
>> that will give them access to the network share.
>
> What is on the network share?

It seems to me that in this case, the "minimally-invasive" solution might just be some
script which changes the user-id under which the service runs, particularly if this
user-id already exists and has the correct permissions and has "the right to run a
Service".  The Tomcat update already requires running as an Administrator, so this script
could run in the same context.
A small VBS script e.g.
Or just this command-line maybe :

sc config <servicename> obj= <accountname> pass= <password>

It uses the Windows built-in utility sc to change the credential of a windows service.

Source : serching Google for "vbs change service login".

Re: Upgrading Tomcat in the customer base

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 19/03/2013 19:24, Patrick Flaherty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We deploy tomcat in our own folder (c:\rsi_tc\tomcat) on a WIndows
> machine as a service. We use the service.bat to install
> as a service. Historically to update tomcat we would remove the current
> version and install the new version. There is rub in all
> this which we have to change the service login to be an account that can
> access files from a network share. Therefore when
> we upgrade tomcat, we remove the current version and install the new
> version and then someone ( the customer :-(  ) has to
> go into the service and change the service login back to the account
> that will give them access to the network share.

What is on the network share?

> I'm looking for a way (if possible) to avoid having the customer to have
> change the service login. I'm looking for suggestions
> to make this easier and have the following questions about whether some
> of my thoughts to make it easier are safe.
>
> 1. Can I *not* uninstall the service and just replace the folder
> structure on the file system with the new version? I have tried it
>     and it seems to work but question whether or not it is safe. I know
> if a major version changes I cannot do this as the service
>     calls tomcat6.exe vs tomcat7.exe for instance and therefore would
> have to do the complete uninstall/install.
>
> 2. If I do the above does calling the "service.bat install" again using
> the *newer* service.bat version make a difference? We are calling it
> (the newer service.bat)
>     and it seems to be harmless and thought that it might help in case
> something in the batch install changed, we would get the changes.
>
> Bottom line, has anyone faced this dilemma and found a successful way to
> upgrade a tomcat instance that uses a unique service login.
>
> Thanks for any input.
> Pat

[key:62590808]

RE: Upgrading Tomcat in the customer base

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Patrick if client and tc-server are on same domain..how about implementing Windows Authentication in TC?
When client authenticates to the Domain all of the TC shares are restored (including TC share) http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-auth-howto.html

..place disclaimer here...