Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2013/06/03 22:51:32 UTC

[VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

Given all the previous discussions about this, and assuming all points
and counterpoints have already been sufficiently enumerated, I'd like
to put it to a vote, explicitly:

Should we switch to JDK 1.7 for Accumulo 1.6.0, to take advantage of
newer features (ACCUMULO-905), or should we continue to require that
Accumulo 1.6.0 run on JRE 1.6?

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I forgot to mention this, but this vote will be held open for 72
hours. Since I forgot to mention this right away, consider the clock
starting now.
I'll consider the vote as having passed with a majority of voters
approving (vs. unanimous), since I don't think negative votes will be
reconcilable through further discussion, and because I want this
question resolved as quickly as possible at the beginning of the
development cycle, rather than half-way through.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Adam, the question isn't whether we should stop supporting users on
Java 1.6. The question is whether they'd be enticed by 1.6.0 features
enough to be willing to install its prerequisites. Accumulo 1.5.0 will
continue to run on 1.6 JVMs without issue, and we can continue to
support that so long as there are a significant user group unwilling
to say goodbye to Java 1.6.

As for the motivating feature. There are some nice features
(try-with-resources, exception handling syntax, diamond syntax), but
I'm not proposing this change in order to use a new "killer" feature.
What we need to decide is whether or not we will be constrained *not*
to use these features for the development cycle of Accumulo 1.6.x. If
the answer is no, don't switch, yes, be constrained, then we can
revisit the question at the beginning of the Accumulo 1.7.0
development cycle.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Posted by Adam Fuchs <af...@apache.org>.

Posted by William Slacum <wi...@accumulo.net>.
+1 because:

- Java 1.6 has reached EOL, making Java 1.7 inevitable
- we're very early in the planning phase for Accumulo 1.6, which means we
hopefully won't break or invalidate already-contributed features to it

I don't think a 2.0.0 should be motivated by an upgrade in a dependency,
even if it's the most important dependency of all.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I was thinking specifically of the CI builds on jenkins.

I see. We can do that, certainly.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Dropping JDK6 support is a pretty big deal.
>
> Is it worth making it a 2.0.0 feature instead of 1.6.0?
>
> If not, what would be the distinction for a 2.0.0?

One thing 2.0 could be used for is a new incompatible API.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--
Sean Busbey
Solutions Architect

Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
+1

By the time Accumulo 1.6. release, Java 1.7 will have been released for
over two years.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> All-
>
> Please explicitly vote in favor or against changing the java
> dependency to >=1.7.
>
> Parsing vague "may cause..." or "might be..." concerns throughout the
> text of the thread is tedious, and does not help me know what the
> consensus of the group is, so we can move forward. If there's a
> specific issue that is informing your vote, that's great, feel free to
> state it, but I don't want this issue to drag out for the duration of
> the the Accumulo 1.6.0 development cycle because people are reluctant
> to come to a concrete opinion.
>
> If it fails a vote, we'll revisit for Accumulo 1.7.0.
>
> I'm personally in favor of the change (+1), but it's not a big deal to
> me. I just want a concrete resolution.
>
> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

-1 lack of sufficient testing in Apache Hadoop[1] and lack of support among
common derivative distros.

[1]:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopJavaVersions

Sean

Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

Posted by Jason Trost <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

--Jason

sent from my DROID

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
-1 then

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM, John Vines <vi...@apache.org> wrote:

> "On the other side, Oracle has stated that no further security-related
> issues will be patched on Java 1.6. Given that most people using Accumulo
> are security minded, this is important."
>
> Redhat has actually stepped in and is continuing support for java 1.6, so
> this issue is covered.

Thats interesting.  Until 1.6, there was major java release every one or
two years.  Then there was almost 5 years between 1.6 and 1.7.  Given that
1.6 was the only game in town for such a long period I maybe it has
more inertia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
-1 to switch. I see no compelling reason to move to java 1.7. Especially
given the vast amount of work that is already slated for Accumulo 1.6.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.
Also. -1 because I forgot that there was a vote open.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
-1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Adam Fuchs <af...@apache.org>.
-1

Adam

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
The vote has closed. The final results, as I see them, are:

PMC (+6, -4)
+1: Christopher Tubbs, Keith Turner, William Slacum, Dave Marion (with
reservations), Eric Newton, Jason Trost
-1: Adam Fuchs, John Vines, Josh Elser, David Medinets

Other (+1, -3)
+1: German Gutierrez
-1: Sean Busbey, Mike Drob, David Lyle

If we count all votes, it's a tie. And if we only count PMC, it's
still pretty split, especially considering Dave Marion's +1 came with
reservations. Either way, I'm thinking there isn't enough consensus
(not for me to be comfortable commit the change). So, in the interests
of moving forward and playing cautiously, I think we can table this
and postpone it for the 1.6.0 development cycle. We can revisit this
at the beginning of the 1.7.0 development cycle.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Agreed.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM, David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Who is voting - the accumulo community, the PMC members, or some other
> subset of people?

Good question. I had presumed it was "community welcome to vote, only
committers binding."

The governance doc[1] says "everyone has one vote" without really saying
who "everyone" is. Since it falls back to the main Apache voting
description for details[2], I would guess that makes "everyone" the PMC
members.

This points out something worth having the PMC members discussing soon:
continued lack of bylaws.

[1]: http://accumulo.apache.org/governance/voting.html
[2]: http://apache.org/foundation/voting.html

--
Sean

Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Lyle <dl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by German Gutierrez <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hello Everyone,

I vote for in favor.

Thanks

German A. Gutierrez

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
All-

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Ben Popp <be...@sqrrl.com>.
Is JDK 1.7 is supported in the common Hadoop distros?

Hortonworks doc doesn't seem to list a version.  A Hortonworks forum page
claims JDK 1.7 isn't supported as of April 2013:
http://hortonworks.com/community/forums/topic/jdk-7/

CDH4 claims JDK 1.6 and 1.7 support:
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH4/latest/CDH4-Requirements-and-Supported-Versions/cdhrsv_topic_3.html

CDH3 requires JDK 1.6:
http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH3/CDH3u6/CDH3-Installation-Guide/cdh3ig_topic_24.html

Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Not necessarily. There is always the difference in implementation
against the JDK implementation.

The Oracle site Sean linked actually goes through a bunch (all?) of
changes. The TreeMap change has already bit me once.

Posted by Dave Marion <dl...@comcast.net>.
 +1 with reservations. This seems like a big API change, not because our dependency changes, but doesn't it force all consumers to change to Java 7 as well if new language features are used in the client? Looks like Java 6 compiled iterators should work without change.

 I wonder if would make sense to:

 - move client to its own module (out of core),
 - build a Java 6 distribution of the client in addition to the Java 7 release, and
 - refrain from using Java 7 features in the client until a 2.0 release

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Let me clarify myself a bit, as I just had a chat session with Keith and
Christopher...

The concern I have is that moving to Java1.7 (jdk or jre), the second
bullet from below, is that this may force a departure from the typical
lifecycle for Accumulo 1.5. If the collective "we" are happy with the
potential to support Accumulo 1.5 and backport Accumulo 1.6
fixes/features to 1.5 as necessary for a period longer than we normally
do this, that's fine.

As there is an unquantifiable risk that is inherit to Java 1.7 (as any
new software), this is a real possibility. I haven't decided one way or
the other, but I wanted to make sure that the proponents of Java1.7 are
aware of such an impact.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

--