Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Jeff Eastman <je...@windwardsolutions.com> on 2008/04/04 02:04:52 UTC

RE: MapReduce, machine learning, and introductions

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your suggestion on Random Forests. I've cc'd this thread to the
Mahout dev list just in case you would like to continue it there. We have
received a lot of interest from students in conjunction with the Google
Summer of Code project and others looking to contribute to our mission. We
are not restricted at all to the 10 original NIPS algorithms; they were just
a natural starting point and a way to "prime the pump". Perhaps some more
information on your experiences using it on real manufacturing data would
motivate an implementation.

Jeff

  _____

Posted by Gary Bradski <ga...@gmail.com>.
Random forests, though not developed that way, are an example of Kleinberg's
Stochastic Discrimination, which builds optimal classifiers based on the
Law  of Large Numbers. Such classifiers are built out of large collections
of simple classifiers, but are distinct from boosting. For this, the
classifiers have to meet three conditions:

   1. Encouragement: The simple classifiers must weakly encourage one
   class from another
   2. Generalization: This is data dependent and thus why you can in fact
   build an optimal classifier FOR THAT DATA.  Your decision functions which
   work on the test set must do so on the training set.
   3. Fairness: You cannot have any statistical bias.  Thus, square
   classifiers cannot be used to classify squares for example because the edges
   and corners of the squares would have different statistics.

Like most things in life, you cannot actually meet all the conditions for
such a classifier, usually you get the first two and fudge the third either
by post processing as Kleinberg does which breaks the parallelization, or by
random functions that tend to diffuse the bias as in Random Forest.

   - Kleinberg's site is worth a look http://kappa.math.buffalo.edu/  But
   he can be rather obscure and others have implemented his theory such as
   *http://tinyurl.com/6hvfvs*
   - For Random forests, Leo Breiman's site (RIP)
   http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/users/breiman/    Breiman was the, or one
   of the key inventors of decision trees.
   - but I'd also look at very simple implementations such as done by
   Zisserman:

*Bosch, A. , Zisserman, A. and Munoz, X.*
*Image Classification using Random Forests and Ferns*
Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Computer Vision, Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil (2007)
Bibtex source<http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/%7Evgg/publications/html/bosch07a-bibtex.html>|
Abstract<http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/%7Evgg/publications/html/bosch07a-abstract.html>|
Document:
ps.gz <http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/%7Evgg/publications/papers/bosch07a.ps.gz>
PDF <http://www.robots.ox.ac.uk/%7Evgg/publications/papers/bosch07a.pdf>

Stochastic Discrimination classifiers have nice properties:

   - The never over train unlike boosting. Because of the Law of Large
   Numbers, they just get better with more data.
   - They are innately parallel/independent
   - It is easy to use them for variable selection via techniques such as
   discussed by Breiman (see his "Black Box" lecture on his site)

When built out of decision trees, they have principled ways of handling
missing data, mixed data types and data at very different scales such as
often occurs with real data, but seldom with computer vision.

By the way, OpenCV has a full implementation of Random Forests that is free,
open and under a BSD license.

Gary

Posted by "Dubey, Pradeep" <pr...@intel.com>.
Gary,
Yes, we have continued where you left it off. All of those kernels have
been parallelized/simulated/analyzed, and now being optimized for
'many-core'. Hopefully, we will be able to publish soon :-).

Pradeep

Random forests are very cool and very odd little bests.

+n!

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.