Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com> on 2014/05/16 02:10:33 UTC

Installation docs update

Hi guys,

Sorry if this email will sound a bit off, but it's rather late at night and i've spent ages trying to figure out why ACS 4.3 is broken on a newly created install with XenServer 4.3.

Could someone responsible for documentation please make the following corrections to make sure that people following the installation guide will actually end up with a working installation. At the moment, the installation guide has mistakes/omissions which prevent users from having a working CloudStack environment. It just looks rather unprofessional (((

Issues I've found so far (there might be more)

1. When installing the management server on Ubuntu server please add to requirement to install libmysql-java by running:

apt-get install libmysql-java

Or the management server will not start. Produces a java exception complaining about unable to connect to the sql database

2. Please change the debian repo from:

deb http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/ubuntu precise 4.2

deb http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/ubuntu precise 4.3 It would be also good to change that line with every new version release. You do want users to install the latest version of ACS, don't you?

3. Please update the section about downloading vhd-util if you are using XenServer and indicate that this file would also have to be manually copied to XenServer to /opt/cloud/bin folder. This bit is missing from documentation and because of this system vms will no get created. Simply downloading the file into the locattion indicated in the installation guide is not enough. It is not being copied to the xenserver host automatically.

Cheers

Andrei

Re: Installation docs update

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On May 28, 2014, at 5:32 AM, sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 28, 2014, at 11:05 AM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:

>>> I can confirm this, it seems to be missing from the packages.
>>>
>>> @wido, do you know about this ? It seems that we might be missing a dependency in the deb packages. At least on 14.04.
>>>

>> Yes, I know about this and wrote a blogpost about it: http://blog.widodh.nl/2014/03/sql-connection-error-after-upgrade-to-cloudstack-4-3-0/
>>
>> I fixed this in March in the master branch and it's also in the 4.3 and 4.4 branches: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=cloudstack.git;a=commit;h=b141641528d6723114c12499ea37acc31b1ce320
>>

> Ok cool, I will make a note in the docs for 4.3.0

done:

http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/latest/installation.html#install-on-ubuntu

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.
)

> 1. When installing the management server on Ubuntu server please add to requirement to install libmysql-java by running:
>
> apt-get install libmysql-java

I am not sure about that one, can you give me the exact url of the section where you see this problem.
When you hover over a section (bold heading) you will see a link to that section. Just copy/paste it in the email so we can jump to it right away.

AM: I think the place to put it would be somewhere here: http://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/latest/installation.html#install-on-ubuntu

Alternatively, the ubuntu packagers could add libmysql-java as a dependence to the cloudstack-management package as you do really need this package for the management server to start on Ubuntu.

I will reply to other points a bit later.

Re: Installation docs update

Posted by sebgoa <ru...@gmail.com>.
On May 16, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Sorry if this email will sound a bit off, but it's rather late at night and i've spent ages trying to figure out why ACS 4.3 is broken on a newly created install with XenServer 4.3.
>
> Could someone responsible for documentation please make the following corrections to make sure that people following the installation guide will actually end up with a working installation. At the moment, the installation guide has mistakes/omissions which prevent users from having a working CloudStack environment. It just looks rather unprofessional (((

Hi Andrei, thanks for the note.

We are all responsible for the documentation, so thanks for sending this note, it will only get better if we get it fixed when people find issues.

We just changed format and hosting mechanism, so it should be easier to fix for everyone. At the top right corner of the page you should see a 'edit on github button' if you click on it, it will fork the documentation repo in your github account (you need one), and you will be able to edit in place through the github UI, or clone locally.

In general, if you don't want or can't fix it yourself please open a bug.

> Issues I've found so far (there might be more)
>
> 1. When installing the management server on Ubuntu server please add to requirement to install libmysql-java by running:
>
> apt-get install libmysql-java

I am not sure about that one, can you give me the exact url of the section where you see this problem.
When you hover over a section (bold heading) you will see a link to that section. Just copy/paste it in the email so we can jump to it right away.

> Or the management server will not start. Produces a java exception complaining about unable to connect to the sql database
>

> 2. Please change the debian repo from:
>
> deb http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/ubuntu precise 4.2

> deb http://cloudstack.apt-get.eu/ubuntu precise 4.3 It would be also good to change that line with every new version release. You do want users to install the latest version of ACS, don't you?

Yes we do :)

I am fixing it for 4.3 now, and I know there is a patch pending that will automatically fix it for every version. (note that in the docs site, you can switch version at the bottom left by clicking on the green text 'latest'.

> 3. Please update the section about downloading vhd-util if you are using XenServer and indicate that this file would also have to be manually copied to XenServer to /opt/cloud/bin folder. This bit is missing from documentation and because of this system vms will no get created. Simply downloading the file into the locattion indicated in the installation guide is not enough. It is not being copied to the xenserver host automatically.

Can you open a bug for this, I am not familiar with XS myself.

thanks again, I'd love to see a pull request from you to help make the docs better.

-sebastien

Installation docs update