Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nicki Messerschmidt <sp...@alienn.net> on 2004/08/04 21:57:45 UTC

Which IPs are checked for spam?

Re: Which IPs are checked for spam?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 12:13 PM 8/5/2004 +0200, Nicki Messerschmidt wrote:
>O.k. and via the trusted_networks I can whitelist some known server
>not to check rbls against, right?

NO!!!!!!

trusted_networks is *NOT* a whitelist.

Please do not think that because a host is "trusted" it means it's spam
free. "trusted" means "part of my home network, and thus any mailservers in
it are relays I control". There's a VERY big difference here.

NEVER insert a host into trusted_networks unless it's a mailserver that you
control that never accepts email from a dialup node.

Please re-read my original message more carefully.

Posted by Nicki Messerschmidt <sp...@alienn.net>.

Re: Which IPs are checked for spam?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 09:57 PM 8/4/2004 +0200, Nicki Messerschmidt wrote:
>Hi,
>we are using multidrop in some installations. Now I was asked which
>IPs of the received headers are checked against the rbl.
>As I found nothing in the faqs I hope someone can answer me this
>without having to search through the source.

For most RBLs, *ALL* IP addresses are checked.

For Dialup lists, only the IPs dropping off email to a host listed in
trusted_networks will be checked. (note: SA tries to auto-detect a sensible
trusted_networks if you've not set one manually, but it's hardly perfect
and often gets confused if you have NATed mailservers)