Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> on 2004/08/06 14:01:48 UTC

[AJP] proxy status

Hi all,

I've finished the connection pool for mod_proxy.
The proxy_http now uses the connection pool (cca 10% speedup for HTTP1.0,
the 1.1 should be even higher, but the ab doesn't support 1.1).
If someone is willing to test and chase the bugs, he's more then welcome :).

TODO:
1. Porting the mechanism from http to proxy_ajp.
2. Using connection pool in ftp.
3. Actually build proxy_balancer [mturk]

BUGS:
- Still OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address on WIN32.
  I'll dig into it to find the reason.

- Assertion failed: rl->ntotal == 0, file .\misc\apr_reslist.c, line 164
  This manifests on server shutdown. I've probably done some mess with
  pool cleanup. It would be great if someone finds the cause :)

Regards,
MT.

RE: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Graham Leggett wrote:

> Cool bananas! Possible stupid question: how do I get hold of
> this code?
> (Which repository is it in?)

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/ajp/proxy/

Works both on 2.1 and 2.0.

> > TODO:
> > 1. Porting the mechanism from http to proxy_ajp.
> > 2. Using connection pool in ftp.
> > 3. Actually build proxy_balancer [mturk]
>
> So to clarify, the proxy framework (ie mod_proxy) now has a
> connection pool, and mod_proxy_http now uses it (with
> proxy_ajp on the way)?

Yes.

> I am trying to work out which bits are built into proxy, and
> which bits are in a separate module via a hook. I'd like to
> see all this stuff go into httpd v2.0 if possible, and want
> to figure out what the impact will be.

Regarding latest discussinon on HTTP-dev reharding backports, I wish you all
the luck :).

> There is currently lots of work on mod_cache* and mod_ldap*
> in httpd, with talk of releasing httpd v2.2 GA around Apachecon time.

MT.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

> I've finished the connection pool for mod_proxy.
> The proxy_http now uses the connection pool (cca 10% speedup for HTTP1.0,
> the 1.1 should be even higher, but the ab doesn't support 1.1).
> If someone is willing to test and chase the bugs, he's more then welcome :).

Cool bananas! Possible stupid question: how do I get hold of this code?
(Which repository is it in?)

> TODO:
> 1. Porting the mechanism from http to proxy_ajp.
> 2. Using connection pool in ftp.
> 3. Actually build proxy_balancer [mturk]

So to clarify, the proxy framework (ie mod_proxy) now has a connection
pool, and mod_proxy_http now uses it (with proxy_ajp on the way)?

I am trying to work out which bits are built into proxy, and which bits
are in a separate module via a hook. I'd like to see all this stuff go
into httpd v2.0 if possible, and want to figure out what the impact will be.

There is currently lots of work on mod_cache* and mod_ldap* in httpd,
with talk of releasing httpd v2.2 GA around Apachecon time.

Regards,
Graham

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Mladen Turk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've finished the connection pool for mod_proxy.
> The proxy_http now uses the connection pool (cca 10% speedup for HTTP1.0,
> the 1.1 should be even higher, but the ab doesn't support 1.1).
> If someone is willing to test and chase the bugs, he's more then welcome :).

I have "started" to document  the new things in
jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/xdocs/proxy.xml fill free to improve it.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 09:35:53AM +0200, jean-frederic clere wrote:
> The idea when starting the ajp-proxy was to get it in httpd HEAD.
> The first developpement were done in j-t-c (jakarta-tomcat-connectors) only
> because Henri, Mladen and I don't have commit in httpd and we wanted
> something running for testing very quicky.
>
> Now the code is at its right place and we (as Jakarta committers) have to
> submit patches. (That is what we had done to get the commit rights in
> Jakarta).

Compared to somebody new to the ASF, committers from other Apache projects
should have a lower bar to reaching commit access. ASF Members should have
an even lower bar than that.

This is based on the assumption that the committer has already shown they
are somewhat clueful by virtue of their commit rights. That said, the bar
is set at different levels among the projects which is why commit access
isn't a pure given, but it should definitely be lower. Members have an
even lower bar because the assumption is that their prolonged dedication
has presumably implied they aren't idiots. Also, to some extent, a Member
is responsible for ALL code at the ASF, so it makes some sense for them to
be able to fix things wherever they might be borken.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Guenter Knauf <ef...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 11:19 AM 8/12/2004, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>--On Thursday, August 12, 2004 12:57 AM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>>Although he's subscribed to all three lists, I'd ask that they go either
>>to dev@httpd or proxy-dev@httpd.  The history of the discussions is just
>>as important as the actual code commits.
>
>Can we please not use proxy-dev@httpd?  As long as the code resides in the main httpd repository, development discussion belongs on dev@httpd, IMHO.

That seems rational to me.  The reason for proposing proxy-dev@httpd
is so that tomcat-dev'ers wouldn't have to swallow the full bandwidth of
dev@httpd (converse of the problem where they asked anyone in dev@httpd
to follow tomcat-dev@jakarta for the duration of that proxy_ajp development).

So I ask our tomcat-dev'ers who are interested in proxy_ajp, proxy_balancer
and so on - are you already subscribed/following dev@httpd?  Or do you feel
a -strong- need for a lower-traffic list?  If no one complains loudly, we will keep
all proxy traffic on dev@httpd (cc's to tomcat-dev if you feel a point needs
feedback from the tomcat connector folks.)

Bill

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:19:59 -0700, Justin Erenkrantz
<ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> --On Thursday, August 12, 2004 12:57 AM -0500 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> > Although he's subscribed to all three lists, I'd ask that they go either
> > to dev@httpd or proxy-dev@httpd.  The history of the discussions is just
> > as important as the actual code commits.
>
> Can we please not use proxy-dev@httpd?  As long as the code resides in the
> main httpd repository, development discussion belongs on dev@httpd, IMHO.  --
> justin

+1

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 11:18 PM 8/11/2004, Costin Manolache wrote:
>William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>
>>>It would be great if we would have at least one or 2 people who are committers in both projects. Since we can't propose Mladen in apache, maybe we can convince Graham to join tomcat :-)
>>
>>Can't propose mturk?  Why, because he is already active in httpd space?
>
>My point was that it is hard to do development across 2 projects, while none of the developers has CVS access in both.

Hopefully that can be addressed...

>If it is not possible to find a solution to the cvs permissions in either apache or tomcat - then maybe it would be good to have it in a separate repository. It may make it easier to also port it to apache2.0, as a separate standalone module.

at one time we had forked mod_proxy development to its own repository,
since it was nowhere near ready for 2.0 inclusion.  proxy-dev@httpd was
created for just this purpose.  At least from a development traffic point
of view, perhaps it's worth resurrecting that mailing list.

As far as code is concerned, Graham, for the moment, is willing to take
care of those patches.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> At 02:15 PM 8/7/2004, Costin wrote:
>
>>Now let's see how to get this in Apache2.0...
>

> Gonna try to make that happen, if I can somehow merge history (ick)
>

>>It would be great if we would have at least one or 2 people who are committers in both projects. Since we can't propose Mladen in apache, maybe we can convince Graham to join tomcat :-)
>

> Can't propose mturk?  Why, because he is already active in httpd space?

My point was that it is hard to do development across 2 projects, while
none of the developers has CVS access in both.

If it is not possible to find a solution to the cvs permissions in
either apache or tomcat - then maybe it would be good to have it in a
separate repository. It may make it easier to also port it to apache2.0,
as a separate standalone module.

Costin

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 02:15 PM 8/7/2004, Costin wrote:
>Now let's see how to get this in Apache2.0...

Gonna try to make that happen, if I can somehow merge history (ick)

>It would be great if we would have at least one or 2 people who are committers in both projects. Since we can't propose Mladen in apache, maybe we can convince Graham to join tomcat :-)

Can't propose mturk?  Why, because he is already active in httpd space?

I actually am thinking that generation 2 of mod_aspdotnet will support
the ajp connector for out-of-process ASP.NET content ;-)  I would like to
see ajp discussion back on httpd, or failing that, should we resurrect
proxy-dev@httpd for lower bandwidth discussion by both groups?

Bill

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Excelent !

Mladen Turk wrote:

>>Standard:
>>Apache2.0.50/proxy_http	276 req/sec
>>
>>New implementain (DEBUG compile):
>>Apache2.0.50/proxy_http	329 req/sec
>>

> Apache2.0.50/proxy_ajp		750 req/sec
> Apache2.0.50/mod_jk		730 req/sec
>
> So, we are slihtly faster :)

That's probably the double mapping of requests in mod_jk.

Costin

RE: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

RE: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> >Yes, only the single DNS per worker(connection pool) query is used
> >(unless entire worker is recycled).
> >

> So the DNS lookup happens once, right ? Good.

And...

Re: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Mladen Turk wrote:

>No the request is still 1.0 and proxy_http checks r->proto_num <
>HTTP_VERSION(1,1).
>Requested standard servlet/HelloWorldExample.¨

Ok. You can hack a little ab.c to have it generate a HTTP/1.1 request ;)
Obviously HTTP/1.0 is not favorable for proxying, so I think HTTP/1.1
would look better.

>>Did you solve the DNS querying issue ?
>>

>Yes, only the single DNS per worker(connection pool) query is used (unless
>entire worker is recycled).

So the DNS lookup happens once, right ? Good.

Rémy

RE: [AJP] proxy status

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Re: [AJP] proxy status