Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Michal Kostrzewa <m....@pentacomp.com.pl> on 2004/04/06 16:25:54 UTC

Re: Assigning different IPs for different Virtual Users from the same Machine

What about IP aliasing - you can define multiple IP's to one network
interface. Then you could ask jMeter to send request from particular IP
(without any modification of TCP header). With that, webservers could do
a reverse lookup. But now there is no possibility in jMeter to choose
the IP requests are sent from (AFAIK).

Peter: sending from different IP's can be useful, when you're testing
load balanced web serwers for example. Load balance algorithms can rely
on source IP information.

best regards,
Michal Kostrzewa

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.
LOL bad joke.

you're right on the DDos, Smurf and Synflood. Jmeter
is already a pretty good tool for flooding a webserver
:))

peter

--- Michal Kostrzewa <M....@pentacomp.com.pl>

Posted by Michal Kostrzewa <M....@pentacomp.com.pl>.

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.
way cool!

now I just script kiddies don't get the bright idea they can use jmeter for DDOS.

peter lin

Michal Kostrzewa <m....@pentacomp.com.pl> wrote:
> so does it mean you're going to implement support for Alias michael ? :)

This time I'll first implement something and then promise I'll do it
:)))) Last time Mike Stover was half a day quicker then I was :)))
(gzipped proxy) :))))))

best regards,
Michal Kostrzewa

Re: Assigning different IPs for different Virtual Users from the same Machine

Posted by Michal Kostrzewa <m....@pentacomp.com.pl>.

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.

fun discussion. I think most hardware load balancers use the IP address, which is also one of the compliants many people have about them.  Atleast if you ask Resonate, which makes software load balancing. I believe Cisco routers can also use session based load balancing, which gets around the performance issues of lots of traffic coming from a specific IP address.

so does it mean you're going to implement support for Alias michael ? :)

peter lin

Michal Kostrzewa <m....@pentacomp.com.pl> wrote:
> A good single sign-on application shouldn't use just the IP address, so even if you assign multiple IP addresses to a NIC in linux/unix, it wouldn't help

My checkpoint fw relies on the source IP when doing loadbalancing. It
remembers client IP for a few minutes and redirects all the traffic from
this IP to the choosen server. Of course the more jmeter guns the
better, but sometimes the feature of assigning request's IP and ip
aliasing could be practical (to me at least :))))

best regards
Michal Kostrzewa

Re: Assigning different IPs for different Virtual Users from the same Machine

Posted by Michal Kostrzewa <m....@pentacomp.com.pl>.

Posted by peter lin <jm...@yahoo.com>.

I guess I'm spoiled :)  Usually I have atleast 2 machines to run load tests, or I use my own development environment of 4 servers.  I definitely see value of being able to test out load balancers like Tomcat5 or hardware load balancer like Cisco LocalDirectory.

using IP alias or spoofing to test single sign-on to me doesn't feel practical. A good single sign-on application shouldn't use just the IP address, so even if you assign multiple IP addresses to a NIC in linux/unix, it wouldn't help.  Some tests are just easier to perform with more hardware :)

which is why I have my own dev environment.