Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeremy <ap...@jeromio.com> on 2004/12/19 18:51:13 UTC

[users@httpd] Character Display problems: single quote and apostrophe become

question marks
This happened after I upgraded to Apache 2.0 - currently version 2.0.51
running on Fedora (Centos 3.1) linux.

All pages are affected. Single quotes (') get turned into a funny
question mark. It's a black diamond with a question mark inside. For an
example, go to
http://mchdurham.org/friday_bulletin/Mainfridaybulletin.htm.

I've tried changing the content tag to various other charsets and
encodings. Nothing helps. This is a very strange problem. I thought for
sure I would find something inthe archives or via google. It's rather
hard to search for since I can't search for the funny question
character. I'm sure someone knows the answer....?

Thanks

 - Jeremy

Re: [users@httpd] Character Display problems: single quote and apostrophe become

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.
no, it's the other way. the apache directive defaultcharset overrides the
meta information.

Posted by Jeremy <ap...@jeromio.com>.
Sorry about the "Reply-To:" in there - subject went too long for my mailer.

Anyway, like I said, I tried many different charsets.

However! I did not check the default charset setting in the config. My understanding
was that it's overridden by the meta tag anyway. 90% of my pages are generated by an
editor that inserts the Content-Type tag with content="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1".

Anyway, it was set to UTF-8. Which you somehow knew. See, I was confident someone
would know the answer.

Thank you!

 - Jeremy

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.