Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Catherine Shepherd <ca...@imperiumglobal.com> on 2002/06/09 01:55:51 UTC

Tomcat/Apache/mod_webapp

Hi, We've done extensive searching of the archives and the web but failed to
come up with a solution that works.  Anybody cast some light on this?

We're trying to get a multiple-webapp installation of Tomcat 4.0.3 on RedHat
7.2 with Apache 1.3 and mod_webapp (and JDK 1.4).  Apache works fine, Tomcat
works fine standalone, but when we link them together it fails to work.  All
were installed from binaries, the Apache install was part of a Nusphere
install.  We want to run two domains on one Tomcat Server, so the server.xml
looks like the following:

  <Service name="Tomcat-Apache">
    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
scheme="http"
               enableLookups="true" appBase="webapps"
               acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
            name="Tomcat-Apache" debug="0">
              prefix="apache_log." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>
      <Host className = "org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpHost"
             name="www.mytopfive.com"
             debug="0"
             appBase="webapps/mytopfive"
             unpackWARs="true" >
        <Context path="" docBase="." debug="0" />
      </Host>
      <Host className = "org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpHost"
             name="www.404th.net"
             debug="0"
             appBase="webapps/404th"
             unpackWARs="true" >
        <Context path="" docBase="." debug="0" />
      </Host>
    </Engine>
</Service>
</Server>

The JSP's for each webapp are in the webapps/[webapp-name] directory, hence
the Context.  Both were deployed from IBM Websphere Studio Application
Developer 4.0.3 generated .war's.

The httpd.conf looks like the following (extract) :

LoadModule webapp_module libexec/mod_webapp.so
AddModule mod_webapp.c
ServerName 62.3.69.188
NameVirtualHost *

WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.404th.net
DocumentRoot /usr/local/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/webapps/404th
WebAppDeploy 404th warpConnection /
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.mytopfive.com
DocumentRoot /usr/local/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/webapps/mytopfive
WebAppDeploy mytopfive warpConnection /
</VirtualHost>

We have also tried this configuration with the "WebAppDeploy .
warpConnection /" per an example at www.codesta.com, but get no better
results.

Tomcat seems to start up and initialise the webapps fine, and the logs
reveal no issues.  The logs also reveal good connections from the Apache
mod_webapp when we start Apache, and Apache puts out what appears to be good
news at the command line.  However, loading either of those domains in a
browser gets a 'The page cannot be displayed'.  Other static sites are
served fine through Apache.

Any ideas?  Thanks very very much.

James and Catherine

RE: Tomcat/Apache/mod_webapp

Posted by Catherine Shepherd <ca...@imperiumglobal.com>.
For more info, the [tomcat_home]/logs/apache_log.2002-06-09.txt shows the
following when we try to connect to either of the pages:

[WarpConnection] Exception on socket
java.io.IOException: Premature packet header end

So it appears that the connections are working ok initially but failing?
When Apache starts up, this log file shows two good WarpConnector
Connections from 127.0.0.1:33190 and 127.0.0.1:33191 both to 127.0.0.1:8008.
Is this a problem that both target theWarpConnector on 8008?  It would seem
that this should not be a problem.

Anyways, we hope this helps some.

Sincere thanks, James and Catherine

Posted by Adrian <at...@charter.net>.
I think you have a malformed WebAppDeploy line.
I`ll play with the config at work today but I think this will work.
Remember, Try one at a time, use this one way first .

<VirtualHost *>
ServerName www.404th.net
DocumentRoot /usr/local/tomcat/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3/webapps/404th
WebAppConnection warpConnection warp localhost:8008
WebAppDeploy 404th warpConnection /404th/
</VirtualHost>

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Tomcat/Apache/mod_webapp *bump*