Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2011/10/26 16:44:02 UTC

[Math] Problem with svn

Hi.

Trying to commit a few files, I get this error:
---CUT---
Sending
src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/integration/UnivariateRealIntegratorImpl.java
Sending src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/geometry/euclidean/threed/Line.java
Sending src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/EigenDecomposition.java
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: File or directory 'main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/EigenDecomposition.java' is out of date; try updating
svn: resource out of date; try updating
svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
svn:    '/home/gilles/devel/SVN/commons-math/trunk/svn-commit.2.tmp'
---CUT---

I've been trying more than 15 times, with the same error.
Obviously, I did "svn up" (almost as many times).
As suggested on the web, I removed all files name "all-wcprops" in the ".svn"
directories.
I tried from a different machine.
I also deleted the whole working copy and did "svn co".
I upgrade "subversion" to version 1.6.17.
All to no avail.

Do you have an idea about possible causes and remedies?
I can also send a tar ball with the modified files. Could someone try to
commit them from his side? Or have a look at the files?

Thanks,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 08:13:01PM -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> >> If nobody responds in the next few hours with a better idea, i will
> >> try the commit based on the tar on my end.  What should be the
> >> commit message?
> > ---CUT---
> > MATH-689
> > Moved "SAFE_MIN" and "EPSILON" from "MathUtils" to "Precision".
> > ---CUT---
>
> Worked for me in r1189593.

Thanks.

I've just committed minor changes to "EigenDecomposition" and
"SingularValueDecomposition". No problem anymore.
What happened will remain a mistery.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 10/26/11 4:07 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>>> [...]
>> If nobody responds in the next few hours with a better idea, i will
>> try the commit based on the tar on my end.  What should be the
>> commit message?
> ---CUT---
> MATH-689
> Moved "SAFE_MIN" and "EPSILON" from "MathUtils" to "Precision".
> ---CUT---

Worked for me in r1189593.

Phil

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 10/26/11 3:41 PM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
>> [...]
>>> That looked like a good plan. But it didn't work. :-{
>>> I tried this route:
>>>  $ rm -rf trunk
>>>  $ svn co ...
>>>  $ tar xzf cm.tar.gz
>>>  $ svn diff
>>>  $ rm -rf trunk
>>>  $ svn co ...
>>>  $ patch -pO < diff
>>>  $ svn commit
>>> and it fails...
>> Strange.  Same errors as before?
> Yes.
>
>> I assume you actually created a
>> patch file in the 4th step above and used that file in the second to
>> last step, right?
> Yes, the above was a "summary" of the actual commands.
>
>> I just made a trivial javadoc change to EigenDecomposition.java and
>> was able to commit it with no problem, so I don't think the repo is
>> hosed.
> Now, "EigenDecomposition.java" passes; I'm stuck at
> "SingularValueDecomposition.java". As it seems that your subversion can
> overcome the problem, could you please do some commit on this one?

Done.

Phil

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

>>> I will grab the files and have a look.  It could be that the problem
>>> has to do with svn props, which were changed in the last commit on
>>> those files.  When you overwrite them with "old" versions, the line
>>> endings get changed and that may be causing the problem.  Could be
>>> you will have to manually re-apply whatever changes you are making
>>> to those files instead of just overwriting.

>>> Let me have a look...
>> Looks like your changed files were from the 9/22 revision of the
>> linear package files.  I suspect that the props change may be the
>> problem.  I am not an svn expert, maybe someone else knows more.
>> But I would try this:
>>
>> 0) Start with clean checkout
>> 1) do your untarring to overwrite the files with changed versions
>> 2) create a patch using svn diff > temp.patch
>> 3) revert or do a new clean checkout
>> 4) apply the patch you made in 2
> That looked like a good plan. But it didn't work. :-{
> I tried this route:
>  $ rm -rf trunk
>  $ svn co ...
>  $ tar xzf cm.tar.gz
>  $ svn diff
>  $ rm -rf trunk
>  $ svn co ...
>  $ patch -pO < diff
>  $ svn commit
> and it fails...

Strange.  Same errors as before?  I assume you actually created a

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hi.

Re: [Math] Problem with svn

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 10/26/11 7:44 AM, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Trying to commit a few files, I get this error:
> ---CUT---
> Sending
> src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/analysis/integration/UnivariateRealIntegratorImpl.java
> Sending src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/geometry/euclidean/threed/Line.java
> Sending src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/EigenDecomposition.java
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: File or directory 'main/java/org/apache/commons/math/linear/EigenDecomposition.java' is out of date; try updating
> svn: resource out of date; try updating
> svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
> svn:    '/home/gilles/devel/SVN/commons-math/trunk/svn-commit.2.tmp'
> ---CUT---
>
> I've been trying more than 15 times, with the same error.
> Obviously, I did "svn up" (almost as many times).
> As suggested on the web, I removed all files name "all-wcprops" in the ".svn"
> directories.
> I tried from a different machine.
> I also deleted the whole working copy and did "svn co".
> I upgrade "subversion" to version 1.6.17.
> All to no avail.
>
> Do you have an idea about possible causes and remedies?
> I can also send a tar ball with the modified files. Could someone try to
> commit them from his side? Or have a look at the files?

Interesting.  Usually means what the message indicates - the working
copy is out of date.  Try doing "svn cleanup" from the checkout.  If
that doesn't work, upload a tarball to your home directory and I
will grab it and see if I can figure out what is going on.  After