Posted to general@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2003/10/20 20:46:32 UTC

James board report

What code releases have been made?
The past 3 months have been slower than normal for the James project.
We have integrated virtually all major changes in the 3.0 branch into
2.X branch and continue to release beta-quality 2.2 snapshots.  Release
2.1.3 is still the last stable release.  We are still working with
Avalon to figure out an appropriate container and upgrade path so we can
reconsile the 2.X and 3.X tree and simplify our lives.

Some encouraging throughput numbers come out recently
(http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=james-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=7689),
although we recognize we need to improve outgoing performance to meet
our internal goal of handling ASF infrastructure load levels.

Legal issues:
None.

Cross-project issues:
Noel and I have got JIRA running on ASF hardware, and we would like to
get jira.apache.org (and some other domains while we're at it) setup
with HTTPS.  I believe the board had approved this notion and that one
or more persons would negotiate getting the ASF cheap or free server certs.

I'm unclear how infrastructure fits into the ASF organization, and
if/what the board's decision was on this matter.  Any guidance about who
is responsible for this action item, and if it's something we could take
up on our own, is appreciated.

Any problems with committers, members, etc?
No.  We've added one committer and hope to add some more, but we are
getting off-and-on patches from many people.

Plans and expectations for the next period?
I would hope we can get a known Avalon container adopted and resolve our
two branches.  That said, this isn't easy and we're working with the
Avalon project to hopefully get this resolved.  Thanks to Stephen
McConnell for his continued help with this.

--
Serge Knystautas
President