Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Michel Decima <mi...@orange-ftgroup.com> on 2010/02/10 17:15:46 UTC

Re: MTOM producer - different content-id in XOP:Include and MIME part for the same attachment?

Hello,

We are facing exactly the same issue here : third-party server unable to
handle
attachment sent by MTOM producer because of escaped cid:

Max Ferrari wrote:

>> following to an (apparently) valid request from our CXF client, the
>> server replies with a SOAP fault:
>> <SOAP-ENV:Fault><faultcode>Sender</faultcode><faultstring>cannot get
>> mime part</faultstring></SOAP-ENV:Fault>
>>
>> I've analyzed the http conversation and I observe that:
>>
>> - In the SOAP part of the request the attachments are included as:
>> <xop:Include xmlns:xop="http://www.w3.org/2004/08/xop/include"
>> href="cid:5726d366-df25-4945-9f3b-3003a2ae8a70-3@http%3A%2F%2Fcxf.apache.org%2F"/>
>>
>> (please notice escaped  cxf.apache.org URI in the cid)

Thanks to Max, I understand that the behaviour of CXF according to RFC2111,
and the third-party server should handle hex-escaped cid values. However,
the server vendor can't provide a solution, because the external library
they use to process attachments does not handle hex-escaped values, and
they can't upgrade easily to another library.

So I browsed the CXF source tree to see how the cid and Contend-ID are
generated. In class org.apache.cxf.attachment.AttachmentUtil, we have:

63   public static String createContentID(String ns) throws
UnsupportedEncodingException {
64       // tend to change
65       String cid = "http://cxf.apache.org/";
66
67       String name = ATT_UUID + "-" + String.valueOf(++counter);
68       if (ns != null && (ns.length() > 0)) {
69           try {
70               URI uri = new URI(ns);
71               String host = uri.toURL().getHost();
72               cid = host;
73           } catch (URISyntaxException e) {
74               cid = ns;
75           } catch (MalformedURLException e) {
76               cid = ns;
77           }
78       }
79       return URLEncoder.encode(name, "UTF-8") + "@" +
URLEncoder.encode(cid, "UTF-8");
80   }

The full content-id is the result of concatenation of a random part (name)
and a
suffix part (cid) after encoding with URLencoder.

If the argument _ns_ is null or empty, the suffix defaults to
"http://cxf.apache.org",
(full absolute URL, not the host part of it), and then the result of the
function
will contain hex-escaped characters, like this:

5726d366-df25-4945-9f3b-3003a2ae8a70-3@http%3A%2F%2Fcxf.apache.org%2F

If the argument _ns_ is not null and not empty, then _ns_ is used to build
an URL,
and the host part of this URL will be used as suffix value. Thus, if we call
this
function with a specific namespace, for example "http://foo.bar.com", the
result
will be :

        5726d366-df25-4945-9f3b-3003a2ae8a70-3@foo.bar.com

and this string value does not contains hex-escaped characters.

So I searched a way to specify a custom namespace to createContentID from
my client code generated from WSDL by $CXF_HOME/bin/wsld2java, but I did not
found how to do it. Is it possible ? (if yes, problem solved).

Then, I took a closer look to the createContentId() function, and I think
that its behaviour is not very coherent : if the namespace (ns) is not null,
only the host part is used, but if it is null, the full URL
"http://cxf.apache.org/"
with "http://" prefix is used. To be more consistent, the function should
use only the host part "cxf.apache.org" if namespace is null/empty. In other
words, calling createContentId() explicitely with empty namespace and
"http://cxf.apache.org/" should give the same value :

    String s1 = AttachmentUtil.createContentID( "" ) ;
    String s2 = AttachmentUtil.createContentID( "http://cxf.apache.org/" ) ;
    assert s1.substring( s1.indexOf('@')).equals( s2.substring(
s2.indexOf('@')) );

Currently, the assertion above fails, and obviously we just have to change
the default cid value line 65 :

65  String cid = "cxf.apache.org" ;  // was "http://cxf.apache.org/"

Since this modification affects only the default suffix value, the algorithm
stays the same, and hex-escaped characters are processed as expected. But,
as
a side effect, the generated contentID will be compatible with our current
server.

What do you think ?

Best Regards,

--
Michel Decima.

Re: MTOM producer - different content-id in XOP:Include and MIME part for the same attachment?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Patch applied.    Tomorrows snapshots should have it.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: MTOM producer - different content-id in XOP:Include and MIME part for the same attachment?

Posted by Michel Decima <mi...@orange-ftgroup.com>.
Hi Dan,

dkulp wrote:

> I'd be ok changing the default if it would be more interopable.
>
> Please file a JIRA with a patch.  :-)

Here it is:

JIRA CXF-2669 - MTOM producer - different content-id in XOP:Include and MIME

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org