Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Hylson Vescovi Netto <hv...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/12 18:16:33 UTC

additional command at step 4, executing Hadoop

Hi,

I would like to contribute at the page:

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/current/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SingleCluster.html

I found a little improvement that might provide a better experience when
trying to execute the hadoop. This email serves to check with the
community if it is right.

On the topic "Pseudo-Distributed Operation", subtopic "Execution", step
4, an additional command should be executed after the other two:

$ bin/hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/friend/input

This is necessary because the command used in the step 5: the folder
"input" is not created automatically. So, it is necessary to create it.

Best regards,
Hylson

NETTO, H. V.
hylson.com
47-9277-9093

Re: additional command at step 4, executing Hadoop

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Hylson,

Thank you for the offer to contribute a documentation improvement.

I'd expect this to work without explicitly running mkdir first.  In fact,
creating the directory first yields a different final result.  As written,
the instructions will produce /user/<username>/input/*.  Changing it to
mkdir input explicitly first will produce /user/<username>/input/hadoop/*.
I just tested this against a current trunk build, and this is the behavior
that I saw.

In this particular case, it appears that we don't need to make a change.
However, for future contributions, please refer to this document:

The source for the SingleCluster.html page is in the Hadoop source tree at
hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/src/site/apt/SingleCluster.apt.vm.  In
general, documentation sources will be in a src/site sub-directory under
the relevant sub-module.

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: additional command at step 4, executing Hadoop

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Hylson,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: additional command at step 4, executing Hadoop

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Hylson,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: additional command at step 4, executing Hadoop

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Hylson,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE