Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Mark Lundquist <ml...@wrinkledog.com> on 2006/02/25 05:12:39 UTC

Some questions about Lenya

Hi,

I've dabbled with Lenya just a bit, and we are now finally ready to get
serious about using it.  We have a bunch of web sites implemented with
Cocoon using static source documents that are maintained by hand, and
we want to start switching these over to Lenya.  I'm a verteran Cocoon
user  but pretty much a Lenya newbie.  So, a couple of questions:

1) I guess the main sticky spot is that a bunch of these sites have
various sorts of custom web application functionality (e.g. online
ordering systems, subscription email crap, registration systems,
calendaring applications — all implemented in Cocoon of course :-), and
I would like to get a handle on the best way of integrating these into
a Lenya site — or, should it be the other way around, should I be
trying to integrate Lenya into what I have now?  Should I start
thinking about Lenya as the "mother ship", and I need to find the right
places in Lenya to plug in my extra-Lenya webapp functionality?  Or
should I think of Lenya as the "content module" where I pull out the
part of the current apps that serves up content and replace that w/
Lenya?  Anybody been through this sort of thing before and care to
share some tips?

2) What is the minimum set of Cocoon blocks required by Lenya?  And are
there optional bits of Lenya that require additional Cocoon blocks, and
if so what might those be?

I guess that's all... for now :-)  I think there were some more
questions, but I must have figured them out...

Cheers,
—ml—

Re: Some questions about Lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Mark Lundquist wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've dabbled with Lenya just a bit, and we are now finally ready to
> get serious about using it.  We have a bunch of web sites implemented
> with Cocoon using static source documents that are maintained by hand,
> and we want to start switching these over to Lenya.  I'm a verteran
> Cocoon user  but pretty much a Lenya newbie.  So, a couple of questions:
>
> 1) I guess the main sticky spot is that a bunch of these sites have
> various sorts of custom web application functionality (e.g. online
> ordering systems, subscription email crap, registration systems,
> calendaring applications — all implemented in Cocoon of course :-),
> and I would like to get a handle on the best way of integrating these
> into a Lenya site — or, should it be the other way around, should I be
> trying to integrate Lenya into what I have now?  Should I start
> thinking about Lenya as the "mother ship", and I need to find the
> right places in Lenya to plug in my extra-Lenya webapp functionality?
> Or should I think of Lenya as the "content module" where I pull out
> the part of the current apps that serves up content and replace that
> w/ Lenya?  Anybody been through this sort of thing before and care to
> share some tips?

I think both is possible and it depends on your current Cocoon apps ...

btw, within Lenya 1.4-dev I have just made the content dir configurable,
so that should help you re integration.

For 1.4-dev there are normally two things to customize for existing content:

 - creating Lenya meta files (see the default or blog publication ..)
 - URL to DocumentPath mapper (which is configurable within
publication.xonf)

> 2) What is the minimum set of Cocoon blocks required by Lenya?  And
> are there optional bits of Lenya that require additional Cocoon
> blocks, and if so what might those be?

see LENYA_SOURCE/src/cocoon

HTH

Michi

> I guess that's all... for now :-)  I think there were some more
> questions, but I must have figured them out...
>
> Cheers,
> —ml—

Michael Wechner