Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Roger Hunen <ro...@medtronic.com> on 1997/12/08 09:40:24 UTC

general/1530: ServerName/ServerAlias is checked when using IP-based virtual hosts

>Number:         1530
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       ServerName/ServerAlias is checked when using IP-based virtual hosts
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Server names defined with ServerName or ServerAlias *are* checked for IP-based
virtual hosts if the user agent sends a 'Host:' header. From what I deduct from
the documentation on virtual hosts, this should only be done with Name-based
virtual hosts, not with IP-based virtual hosts.

Workaround: use ServerAlias to define likely aliases.

Curiosity : Netscape 3 sends a 'Host:' header in HTTP/1.0 requests, even though
            this is not defined in RFC 1945. I assume that old servers that
            don't accept 'Host:' headers will simply ignore them.
>How-To-Repeat:
Repeating the problem should be trivial (I can send my config if needed).
Example URLs are not available (Intranet server in a Firewalled environment).
>Fix:
Don't check the host spec from the 'Host:' header for IP-based virtual hosts.
%0