Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Łukasz Bownik <lu...@gmail.com> on 2022/04/14 19:58:55 UTC

PR merged, now what?

Hello.
I got my first PR merged.

Can I continue development on my branch or shall i create new branch for
each pull request?

Do you guys prefer small or larger PRs?

Re: PR merged, now what?

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi,

Am Donnerstag, dem 14.04.2022 um 13:15 -0700 schrieb Łukasz Bownik:
> What about branching. May I keep pumping PRs from the same branch?

For the size: Changes should be focused on a problem and driven by it.
If that means the changes becomes bigger so be it. You should keep in
mind, that someone else needs to understand what you did and why you
did it. The more changes are there, the bigger the chance, that it will
be hard to find a reviewer.

For the branch: Please always make sure your base is up-to-date with
master and you create a fresh branch from that. If you don't do that,
you will hit merge conflicts, because others touched the same files,
that you did. The more recent your branch base, the less likely is a
conflict.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: PR merged, now what?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Not sure about that, lets see what others say.

Gj

Re: PR merged, now what?

Posted by Łukasz Bownik <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: PR merged, now what?

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Small is good. :-)

Re: PR merged, now what?

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
a lot what Antonio described is setup work. Once your remote etc is
configured its a very quick process.

1) switch to master and pull from the apache netbeans repo

2) create a fresh branch from that

3) add commits

4) push to your clone, press the create PR button

If you don't use one branch per PR, you will only be able to work on one
thing at a time and if you don't get reviewers you are stuck waiting in
line.

-mbien

Re: PR merged, now what?

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
It's only the setup which requires slightly more configuration than usual.

The best practice is keep each PR in it's own branch. It is also
possible that your PR-s are not accepted/merged in that order you are
popping them out, so having them on one branch could be difficult. I
check out the apache/netbeans as "origin" and my fork as "mine". Pushing
the branches on "mine" then creating a PR via the github provided link.

Re: PR merged, now what?

Posted by Łukasz Bownik <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: PR merged, now what?

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.