Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/11 11:17:29 UTC

Re: GSOC 2011 Project Ideas

Hi all,

When i go through JIRA i saw the project idea of "Simple Social Networking
for Roller blog server" [1].I went through the mailing lists for the
discussion regarding the project idea and in one it was stated that the
project is over ambitious for GSoC project (So need to redefine the
boundaries).I would like to know your feedback regarding this project idea.
(Is it important enough for the future realeases and interest.)

I am brainstorming an idea to integrate that can improve roller and much
willing to know about your ideas or suggestions for a suitable project.

Thanks.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ROL-1861

--
Shelan Perera

Home: http://www.shelan.org
Blog   : http://www.shelanlk.com
Twitter: shelan
skype  :shelan.perera
gtalk   :shelanrc

 I am the master of my fate:
 I am the captain of my soul.
         *invictus*

Re: GSOC 2011 Project Ideas

Posted by Ken Gunderson <kg...@teamcool.net>.
On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 10:38 +0530, shelan Perera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks all for the valuable comments.

You're welcome :)  I'm not a Roller developer, so take my comments with
that caveat in mind.

> I really feel html5 mobile interface will do much better in the rollers
> usability.I would like to have some more feedbacks on the idea.
> There are two main categories that i can i imagine.
>
> 1) Having a mobile optimized user interface for quick blog view for readers.

My take is that this should be the higher priority.  People blog to
share their thoughts with others. In the final analysis, it's all about
hits.  Well, maybe not only about hits but you get my meaning.

>  2) Mobile friendly user interface for quick posts, basic administration.

I think quick post capabilities might be of value, but administration
might be a bit complex to implement, as there's simply a lot more
involved and getting the UI right may be a challenge.

> I looked at how to add templates for roller.Would this interface will be
> added as a template or do we have to define some extensible architecture for
> this.? The second thought is more looking for future which we
> can benefit for html5 offline storage, media handling capabilities.
>
> Would like to hear some feedback about this idea.

I don't know enough about html5 media handling to comment.  Ditto the
Roller template system.

To recap, I see the value add ordered thusly:

1) End user mobile UI

2) Quick post blogger UI.  I think this would necessarily entail a
subset of Roller's full feature set in order to keep the UI manageable
from, for example, a smartphone.  I'm not sure how many bloggers would
use this though as blog posts are typically more substantive than micro
blogs, e.g. tweets.  I see use case for the latter from e.g. smartphone,
but not sure if there's really use case for more substantive posts being
made from such device.  At least for me, I'd want to be using a laptop
or workstation unless it was really, really so important that I was
willing to suffer through e.g. a 1000 words on my Android.  But then I'm
not a big texter either, so I think it would be prudent to get input
from others on this issue.

3) Mobil admin interface.  Ditto the subset comments above.

--
Ken Gunderson <kg...@teamcool.net>

Re: GSOC 2011 Project Ideas

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.