Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stefan Mayr <st...@mayr-stefan.de> on 2018/08/31 03:27:30 UTC

Multiple Hosts in server.xml - expected behaviour?

Hi,

we got an application has multiple Service, Engine and Host entries in
server.xml. All Host sections share the same directory:

appBase="webapps"
unpackWARs="true"
autoDeploy="true"

Each host contains Context-Section using docBase="webapps/appX" for
diffenent applications appX.

Is this a valid configuration (for Tomcat 7.0)? If yes, what should we
expect to happen?

We currently see and endless loop of application deployments that fail
because the ports of the Service Connector is already in use.

Thank you,

	Stefan Mayr

Re: Multiple Hosts in server.xml - expected behaviour?

Posted by Stefan Mayr <st...@mayr-stefan.de>.
Hi,

Am 31.08.2018 um 19:22 schrieb Christopher Schultz:

> Stefan,
>
> On 8/30/18 23:27, Stefan Mayr wrote:
>> we got an application has multiple Service, Engine and Host entries
>> in server.xml. All Host sections share the same directory:
>>
>> appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>>
>> Each host contains Context-Section using docBase="webapps/appX"
>> for diffenent applications appX.
>>
>> Is this a valid configuration (for Tomcat 7.0)? If yes, what should
>> we expect to happen?
>
> Yes, this is valid. You should expect that each <Host> will deploy a
> separate copy of each web application found in "webapps". If you have
> 3 <Host>s and 3 web applications in "webapps", you should expect
> Tomcat to start 9 separate contexts.
>
>> We currently see and endless loop of application deployments that
>> fail because the ports of the Service Connector is already in use.
>
> Something else is wrong, then. Connectors are separate from context
> (web app) deployments. Application deployments shouldn't attempt to
> configure connectors.
>
> Can you post an error and/or stack trace?
>
> - -chris

You were right. I started counting deployment log entries and failing
contexts. For each context we have n deploments, n being the number of
appBase definitions in Host entries. And because all of those apps seem
to bind additional local tcp ports we have n-1 failing contexts per
Host. Only the first one can bind that port. That led to a lot more
java.net.BindExceptions beeing thrown. I misinterpreted them to be
Connector ports.

Thank you,

   Stefan

Re: Multiple Hosts in server.xml - expected behaviour?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.