Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/02 08:27:42 UTC

Re: RandomStringUtils with variable lengths

Hello Caleb,

> I have written the following for my own project, and a couple of
> variants elsewhere (randomNumeric( min, max ) etc.
>
> Also I'm considering maybe a randomGraph() (for printable characters
> that match the posix graph regex), and random utf8.
>
> I find these useful for test input data.
>
>  if I wrote it into a patch for RandomStringUtils including docs and
> tests would it be accepted/is it something the project would be
> interested in? (please cc me I'm not on the list)
>
> public class RandomUtil {
>     public static String randomAlphanumeric( final int minLength,
> final int maxLength ) {
>         return RandomStringUtils.randomAlphanumeric(
> RandomUtils.nextInt( minLength, maxLength ) );
>     }
> }

I'm not sure I understand your proposal. Is this about returning a single
random character?
It would be good if you could provide a patch with some unit tests. You can
use GitHub for contributing [1]

Thank you!
Benedikt

[1] https://github.com/apache/commons-lang

Posted by Caleb Cushing <xe...@gmail.com>.
https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/pull/101 created a new pull request
after doing some branch rewrites.

>>> http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
>>> http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter

--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.com

Re: RandomStringUtils with variable lengths

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Yes, please go ahead!

Posted by Caleb Cushing <xe...@gmail.com>.

--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.com

Re: RandomStringUtils with variable lengths

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Caleb,

Posted by Caleb Cushing <xe...@gmail.com>.