Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Chris Wilkes <cw...@ladro.com> on 2003/09/05 18:56:25 UTC

Re: XSP works, XSLT works, XSLT after XSP doesn't work

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 11:10:30AM -0700, Chris Wilkes wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   I have an XSP that generates XML and then I want to run that XML
> through an XSL to make into an HTML page.  Pretty straightforward.
>   Except that I'm getting this error when doing so:
>     org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Exception in
>     ServerPagesGenerator.generate(): java.lang.RuntimeException
>     at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerImpl.run
>       (TransformerImpl.java:3364)
>     at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerHandlerImpl.endDocument
>       (TransformerHandlerImpl.java:427)
>     at org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.endDocument
>       (AbstractXMLPipe.java:91)
>   on my Cocoon-2.1rc1 running under Jetty.
>
>   I took out my XSLT and serialized the XSP output to XML.  That works,
> and I took that file and put it on the webserver.  I then ran that XML
> through the XSLT and it worked fine.
>   So I'm thinking it has something to do with the hand off between the
> two.
>   Does anyone have any debugging tips for this?  I do have the .java and
> .class files generated from my XSP when I take out the XSLT part, is
> there something I can look at in there?  Is this a namespace issue
> perhaps?

Figured out my problem.  A Serializer takes as inputs SAX events:
  http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Serializer
And I wasn't giving it that, rather some straight text.  The solution
was to put take my XML string and use the xsp:util logicsheet:
  <util:include-expr expr="xmlString"/>

It would be nice if I could feed it a DOM or JDOM variable and have it
do it for me, since that's what I have in the first place.  Is there
such a construct?

Chris

Re: XSP works, XSLT works, XSLT after XSP doesn't work

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Conal Tuohy wrote:

>Chris Wilkes wrote:
>

>>Figured out my problem.  A Serializer takes as inputs SAX events:
>>  http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Serializer
>>And I wasn't giving it that, rather some straight text.  The solution
>>was to put take my XML string and use the xsp:util logicsheet:
>>  <util:include-expr expr="xmlString"/>
>>
>>It would be nice if I could feed it a DOM or JDOM variable and have it
>>do it for me, since that's what I have in the first place.  Is there
>>such a construct?

<xsp:expr>myDOMvariable</xsp:expr>

See XSPObjectHelper for details.

Vadim

RE: XSP works, XSLT works, XSLT after XSP doesn't work

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.
Chris Wilkes wrote:

> Figured out my problem.  A Serializer takes as inputs SAX events:
>   http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Serializer
> And I wasn't giving it that, rather some straight text.  The solution
> was to put take my XML string and use the xsp:util logicsheet:
>   <util:include-expr expr="xmlString"/>
>
> It would be nice if I could feed it a DOM or JDOM variable and have it
> do it for me, since that's what I have in the first place.  Is there
> such a construct?

Have you considered upgrading your XSP into a Transformer or Generator?

You could extend the AbstractDOMTransformer, or just use the DOMStreamer to
"stream" your DOM objects as SAX events. Rather than generate a DOM and then
stream it (as SAX), you may be able to stream it as you generate it.

Just a thought.

Con