Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by kaveh minooie <ka...@plutoz.com> on 2013/02/22 20:15:49 UTC

does hbase master need to be a hadoop datanode as well?

Hi everyone,

I had a quick question. do I need to be running datanode on the server
that is running hbase master or datanode should be running only on
servers that are running as regionserver?

thanks,
--
Kaveh Minooie

Re: does hbase master need to be a hadoop datanode as well?

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
Hi Harish,

HBase still run ZooKeeper even in standalone mode:
http://hbase.apache.org/book/standalone_dist.html

So you still can face same kind of issues. But since it's not using Hadoop,
there is more memory available for you HBase, which might reduce GCs
"issues".

JM

Posted by Harish Krishnan <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: does hbase master need to be a hadoop datanode as well?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Yeah..Good point JM.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.
"as long as machine is powerful"

That's the key ;)

If you run you standalone HBase in a virtual machine, it might not be
powerful enought and you might miss the heartbeats. Same if you run on a
computer without enought memory and it's starting to swap.

JM

Posted by anil gupta <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Marc Spaggiari <je...@spaggiari.org>.

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.