Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "R.U. Spell" <ru...@yahoo.com> on 2003/07/03 17:42:24 UTC

"The Document contains no data" error

I am having trouble with a servlet in Netscape v 4.76.
 I am running Red Hat Linux 7.2.

The servlet (code included below) calls another class
that generates a JPG and outputs it to a file.  A link
to the temporary image file is supposed to be
displayed on the page, but instead I get a pop-up
displaying "The document contains no data".

I have verified that the servlet is generating the
image and placing it in my /tmp folder.  I have also
tested it by outputting the image to
$CATALINA_HOME/temp.

Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly
appreciated!!

CODE...

import java.io.*;
import java.text.*;
import java.util.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

import duke.cgt.bard.apps.SimpleBardApplication;

public class BARD extends HttpServlet {

    static final String PATH =
"/home/www/pkg/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6/temp/";
    static String datafile;

    public void doBard(String file) {
	String[] temp = new String[6];
        temp[0] = "-d";
        temp[1] = file;
        temp[2] = "-type";
        temp[3] = "ie";
        temp[4] = "-o";
        temp[5] = PATH+"bard.jpg";

        try {
         SimpleBardApplication.main(temp);
        }catch(Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

                      HttpServletResponse response)
        throws IOException, ServletException
    {
        datafile = request.getParameter("datafile");
	datafile = PATH + datafile;

        PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();

        response.setContentType("text/html");
        response.setHeader("pragma", "no-cache");
        out.println("<html>");
        out.println("<body>");
        out.println("<head>");
        out.println("<title>BARD Demo</title>");
        out.println("</head>");
        out.println("<body bgcolor=\"white\">");
        out.println("<H1>BARD Demo</H1>");
	out.println("This is the image file " +datafile);
	out.println("</body>");
	out.println("</html>");

	this.doBard(datafile);
    }

    public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request,
                       HttpServletResponse response)
        throws IOException, ServletException
    {
        doGet(request, response);