Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Stephan Burkard <sb...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/13 09:58:50 UTC

Does change in custom.properties or jre.properties need recreation of instance?

Hi Servicemix users

I tried to expose a non-standard package from rt.jar
(com.sun.script.javascript) in the system bundle by adding it to
"org.osgi.framework.system.packages.extra" in custom.properties or in a
profile of jre.properties.

When I did this in an existing instance, stoped and restarted the instance,
I had a "ClassNotFound" exception (org.apache..., not a system class) in a
bundle that was starting/running fine before. Even if I removed my change
from the config and restarted the instance again, the error remained.

However, when I did the change in the config of the root instance and
re-created the child instance, the error did not show up and the exposing
worked fine.

Questions:
1) Is this expected behaviour, e.g. is it "not allowed/recommended" to
change these files in a config of an existing instance? Or is this a
"problem" of our installation/bundles?
2) What is the recommended way to expose such packages in servicemix?
custom.properties or jre.properties? Is jre.properties to do it more
fine-grained than in custom.properties?
3) My needed package "com.sun.script.javascript" is not available in JRE
1.5. Should I then expose it in the jre.properties because I can limit the
exposing to JRE 1.6?

Thanks for any help to understand these things
Stephan