Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Shaily Goel <gs...@novell.com> on 2005/06/21 07:06:59 UTC

Rolling File Appender provided by Log4Net

We are planning to use Rolling File Appender provided by Log4net.

Our requirements are like below:

1. Rolling File Appender should be able to log the messages into a
local file with an extension of .log
2. It should write the message in xml format in local file.
3. It should be able to roll log files based on either size or date.
When the current log file reaches a particular size/date, a new log file
is rolled into its place.
4. The old log file should be stored in a compressed format until the
maximum number of log files is reached, causing the oldest log file to
be deleted.

I found that all my above requirements are met by Rolling File Appender
provided by log4net except that "The old log file should be stored in a
compressed format ".

I want to know whether Rolling File appender internally store all old
log files in compressed format??If not, how can we achieve this ?

Thanks
Shaily

Re: Rolling File Appender provided by Log4Net

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.
I don't think compressing files and complex file maintenance falls
within the scope of log4net.

What happens when the log file reaches 900mb in size? Even on a fast
machine, compressing such a large file may cause a slow down. Perhaps
you could have a second process or script run every day to compress and
move log files around according to your requirements.

You may be able to extend RollingFileAppender to make it do what you
want too.