Posted to xindice-dev@xml.apache.org by James Bates <ja...@amplexor.com> on 2002/05/13 11:00:25 UTC

XML serializing

Been investigating the issue of XML serializing, which seems to happen in too many different in too many
places in Xindice. Xerces contains a good serialization implementation in the org.apache.xml.serialize package:
It CORRECTLY handles namespaces, intl character encodings, indenting when required etc...

The interfaces are identical in Xerces 1.xxx and Xerces 2.xxx so there isn't really a risk here either.

Would you guys accept if I investigated moving Xindice to this more standard method of serializing, thus doing away
with StringSerializer and TextWriter classes in the Xindice code?

James

Re: XML serializing

Posted by Kimbro Staken <ks...@xmldatabases.org>.
+1

On Monday, May 13, 2002, at 03:04 AM, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> James Bates wrote:
>> Would you guys accept if I investigated moving Xindice to this more
>> standard method of serializing, thus doing away
>> with StringSerializer and TextWriter classes in the Xindice code?
>
> +1 for me. Please, try to include even performance considerations into
> your evaluation.
>
> Ciao,
>
> -- Gianugo Rabellino

Kimbro Staken
Java and XML Software, Consulting and Writing http://www.xmldatabases.org/
Apache Xindice native XML database http://xml.apache.org/xindice
XML:DB Initiative http://www.xmldb.org

Re: XML serializing

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: XML serializing

Posted by Kurt Ward <ku...@yahoo.com>.
XML serializing+1

Kurt

RE: XML serializing

Posted by David Ku <ku...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1 for me.  I think the JAXP/TRaX apis pretty much mirror what exists in
Xerces, and have been using it a lot in my code.  It is also used in the
Cocoon serialization code.

I'm with Stefano, the JAXP/TRaX API is quite easy to use and most
Java/XML developers will be familiar with it.

> Been investigating the issue of XML serializing, which seems to happen

> in too many different in too many
> places in Xindice. Xerces contains a good serialization implementation

> in the org.apache.xml.serialize package:
> It CORRECTLY handles namespaces, intl character encodings, indenting
> when required etc...
>
> The interfaces are identical in Xerces 1.xxx and Xerces 2.xxx so there

> isn't really a risk here either.
>
> Would you guys accept if I investigated moving Xindice to this more
> standard method of serializing, thus doing away
> with StringSerializer and TextWriter classes in the Xindice code?
>
> James

Hmmm, question: what's wrong with using the JAXP 1.1 API for
serializing? that comes for free in JDK 1.4 and it's actually
implemented by those classes you mention above.

                           able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: XML serializing

Posted by Kevin Ross <Ke...@iVerticalLeap.com>.

Re: XML serializing

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@interdimensions.com>.
I am totally for doing this change, but JDK 1.4?? I don't think that's an
option, don't a lot of people here develop on Mac OS X??

Our project team is Linux, Mac OS X and Windows, so if we could keep it
working against JDK 1.3 until 1.4 comes out for OSX ( hopefully soon )...

just a thought.

fernando

Re: XML serializing

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

RE: XML serializing

Posted by David Viner <dv...@yahoo-inc.com>.
XML serializingi would *love* this.  i gave it a quick try, but hit enuff
problems to not just change everything...
i'd be very willing to help out... please let me know if you plan to pursue
this.

dave