Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <g....@sourcesense.com> on 2009/03/27 09:41:37 UTC

Re: Requirements for a developer to be able to collaborate on ESME.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Hirsch, Richard
<ri...@siemens.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've been having some debate internally concerning what sort of
> development skills are necessary for a developer to be able to
> collaborate in apache ESME
>
> I've started a list. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Er - I thought this was open source, not a job board. I would say you
should focus on whether patches are good quality, which sort-of
automatically would mean being knowledgeable about the stuff below.
Let natural selection do its job: your list is fine from an
informative standpoint, but I think it would convey the wrong message
if set up as a set of pre-requisites for joining.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
M: +44 779 5364 932 / +39 389 44 26 846

Re: Requirements for a developer to be able to collaborate on ESME.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Gianugo Rabellino
<g....@sourcesense.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:25 AM, Hirsch, Richard
> <ri...@siemens.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've been having some debate internally concerning what sort of
>> development skills are necessary for a developer to be able to
>> collaborate in apache ESME
>>
>> I've started a list. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
>
> Er - I thought this was open source, not a job board. I would say you
> should focus on whether patches are good quality, which sort-of
> automatically would mean being knowledgeable about the stuff below.
> Let natural selection do its job: your list is fine from an
> informative standpoint, but I think it would convey the wrong message
> if set up as a set of pre-requisites for joining.

+1

it would be more positive to list skills as a way to link to
contributions which could be made with people with each skill

- robert

RE: Other authentication besides OpenID

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.
I just found a most recent discussion that talks about authentication on the lift Google group: http://www.mail-archive.com/liftweb@googlegroups.com/msg04205.html

D.

________________________________

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
On Fri 27 Mar 2009 15:29, Erik Engbrecht <er...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps it should be more of a "getting with contributing to ESME" than a
> "skills needed to contribute to ESME".  Having a list of key technologies
> used in ESME is a good thing.

Yes.  It's a good idea to have a document on "How to get involved" or
"How to contribute."  For the most part, this document should give
suggestions on what someone interested in ESME can do such as:

  - How to write up documentation
  - Steps for submitting a patch
  - How to sign up for mailing lists, etc.

Skills are then self-evident.  Clearly to submit a patch, someone needs
to learn how to use svn, scala, etc.

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁         cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905

Re: Requirements for a developer to be able to collaborate on ESME.

Posted by Erik Engbrecht <er...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps it should be more of a "getting with contributing to ESME" than a
"skills needed to contribute to ESME".  Having a list of key technologies
used in ESME is a good thing.

--
http://erikengbrecht.blogspot.com/

AW: Requirements for a developer to be able to collaborate on ESME.

Posted by "Hirsch, Richard" <ri...@siemens.com>.
Imagine this: