Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marc Chamberlin <ma...@easystreet.com> on 2002/10/15 00:28:18 UTC

James is an open-relay

I am writing mostly just to confirm what I think I gleaned from the archives... I got a report back from http://dnsbl.njabl.org/
saying that my James email server is an open relay and the email servers of several of my mail list users are now blocking emails
from my server. My server requires SMTP authorization, which I gather had some sort of a problem? And in order to let my users use
the server while traveling I had to comment out the section in the config.xml file which checks to see if the sending IP address is
in an accepted set of domains. I am currently using the stable released version of James, 2.0a3

So my question is, what is the best strategy for me to follow... I am assuming this is a known problem and has been fixed? So,
should I immediately upgrade to the latest binary version -james-binary-2.1a1-2002-09-24.zip, or is there a better choice, or is the
next stable version of James expected out soon? (I am not set up to do a build from source)
Has there been much in the way of changes to how James is configured? Just trying to get an idea of the best road map to follow, so
suggestions will be appreciated.... Thanks in advance...

     Marc Chamberlin...

Do you think the software industry will ever make software that is as easy and reliable for a user to use
as the automobile industry makes a car easy and reliable for a user to drive?

Re: James is an open-relay

Posted by JRC <po...@neonkiwi.com>.
have you ever owned a Ford?

RE: James is an open-relay

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I got a report back from http://dnsbl.njabl.org/

They (and tons of others) have checked mine, and verify that it is OK.

> My server requires SMTP authorization, which I gather had some sort of a
problem?

Yes, James 2.0a3 had that (and other) Open Relay problems.  Peter Goldstein
fixed SMTP AUTH, I fixed another, and those fixes are in the 2.1-CVS code.

There will be a stable release soon (I hope), but in the meantime it sounds
as if you should upgrade to the current 2.1-CVS.

	--- Noel