Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@informatik.hu-berlin.de> on 2015/07/16 15:38:38 UTC

Extending StreamExecutionEnvironment

Hi,

currently, StreamExecutionEnvironment runs programs in a blocking
fashion, ie, it expects a job to finish by itself. However, streaming
jobs might run infinitely.

With the upcoming STOP signal, I would recommend to extend
StreamExecutionEnvironment such that a job can be executed in a detached
fashion and a method "stop(JobID)" that allows to stop the execution. We
might also include "cancel(JobID)".

What do you think?

There are a few design question about this, too:
 - overload execute() or introduce executeDetached()
 - should stop()/cancel() be blocking (with timeout?) or not (or both
should be possible)

-Matthias

Re: Extending StreamExecutionEnvironment

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
There is already an issue for this:

Before addressing this, I would like to merge
https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/858 , because the poll request also
touches the Client that communicates with the JobManager.