Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Eelco Klaver <ee...@myefactory.nl> on 2002/08/28 12:59:14 UTC

Session form resetted after each post (struts 1.0.2)

Hi,

I have a session scope action form to enable filling in the form in multiple
steps. I noticed that the reset method is called everytime the html form is
posted, while I would expect that this method is only called the first time.
I this a bug or a feature?

Regards, Eelco

RE: Session form resetted after each post (struts 1.0.2)

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
You need the reset method to clear values for checkbox fields (and a few
others (ie select fields), but Ill use the checkbox example here). Otherwise
if you tick a checkbox, you can not untick it - the browser does not submit
anything for that field (ie: an unticked checkbox) and so the value in your
actionForm will not be updated, and so you will not pick up the fact that
the user unticked the box.
Your reset method is there to deal with situation. Reset is called before
the form is populated. Thus the value for that field in the actionForm is
cleared. If the checkbox is still ticked, the field will be repopulated in
the actionForm, if however the user unticked the checkBox, the actionForm
will reflect this. (Which it wouldnt if you didnt clear that field in the
reset method)

Posted by Miguel Angel Mulero Martinez <mi...@mad.tecsidel.es>.
The simple way to do this, is put the bean in session request, and in each
stage make a submit to an Action that forwards the control to the next stage
(JSP). The Action can be the same in all stages (final too), but with an
attribute you can indicate to the Action wich is the next step to forward.

Posted by Eelco Klaver <ee...@myefactory.nl>.