Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2019/06/13 19:10:13 UTC

Incubation Pain Points

Hi -

Here are some thoughts I have to improving Incubation. These are not really new, but I think we should discuss where and how best to apply these.

(1) Champions need to very clear that the ASF expects Community decisions not BDFLs. Burnout is one factor to highlight why community is important. Vendor independence is important and part of why BDFLs don’t fly. In the last few years we have deemphasized the role of Champion and I think we need to list out some of the duties a Champion has to both the prospective podling community and the Incubator.

(2) We should help existing communities plan their entry into Incubation with their proposals. Currently TVM is moving their community over before repositories. That might be a better approach for many communities as it will assure that (a) the existing community keeps its current velocity and (b) they are making community decisions on list before actual development is moved over.

(3) Having a lower impedance to release and code changes would really help. We are already having this discussion. A very radical idea might be to move a lot of the License, Notice and Dependency work away from the Release Vote and instead do periodic and potentially automated audits of repositories. This would follow the REVIEW suggestion, but make it more automated and based on tooling.

(4) Relinquishing control of admin rights on GitHub repos is an impedance. I understand why this is done from an Apache Infrastructure perspective, but it is a surprise to podling communities. Making sure that a new podling knows fully what to expect before transferring repos would really help manage expectations.

(5) Failure to incubate is not failure. Currently 63 podlings have retired and there are two or three additional retirements soon. 4 or 5 podlings moved on or back to where they were. The why of retirement could be analyzed, but it would need to look into mailing list archives because the information in podlings.xml is not always clear and is sometimes more diplomatic than the reality.

See https://projects.apache.org for an intriguing chart.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

> On Jun 18, 2019, at 4:42 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:18 PM Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> ...prepping the existing community regarding what "moving to the ASF means" is the job of the Champion, no?...
>
> I agree but it has to be based on written docs, not oral tradition as
> that does not scale.
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/cookbook/#does_our_project_fit_the_apache_incubator
> does address this at least partly, IMO.

There has not been much traction on the cookbook changes that you started.

(1) I think a refocus on the cookbook would be helpful.

As part of the Cookbook update we should make sure of the main points of the Apache Way / Culture / minimums are documented. Alex’s list else thread is as good a start as any.

(2) Thanks for linking to the Board thread from February. There is some support there for allowing Podling Releases to entirely PPMC based assuming there is enough Mentor engagement.

Advantages included:
- Keeps Releases in the Community. Provided they meet minimums.
- Avoids the need for “heroics” from those who review 100s of releases.

Disadvantages might include:
- Initial Podling Releases cannot be wholly under the "legal shield" depending on how that is interpreted.
- Some think that Release issues won’t be handled until just before graduation.

I propose that the IPMC comfirms an updated policy that we expect that Podling’s Apache Releases initially conform to a minimum that includes a DISCLAIMER that is invariant aside from the podling name, and fits Apache Distribution Policy plus including “-incubator” or “-incubating” in the filenames of all artifacts except the KEYS.

Before graduation each of the podling’s released products must be confirmed by their Mentors to conform to Apache Release Policy. If there are not enough active Mentors then the podling should (a) request additional mentors and/or (b) request a review on general@. Such a review should not be during the release of a version of the product. If the Mentors have any concerns or questions then they can request the review from general@ themselves.

(3) Does anyone have a sense about how many retired podlings where failure to incubate was due to release problems? And, if so can that be differentiated from other community issues?

(4) Convenience Binary releases need careful discussion in another thread since these are ever evolving as new packaging and container technology is under continual development. I think that this is another thread that should be pursued after we settle on Podling Release Policy.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Apologies for replying twice in a row to the thread.

> On Jun 18, 2019, at 10:32 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Alex, Jim, Bertrand,
>
> This discussion is re-inventing a discussion that has been had before. At
> one time, the incubator tried to present principles to incoming podling
> (albeit not in a very well documented fashion). The reaction was that
> podlings strongly wanted specifics, not general principles. The idea of "no
> category x" worked, but things like "no downstream constraints" were a bit
> too vague. And some mostly kind of sort of accepted Apache ideas like votes
> should mostly be used to record consensus rather than make decisions are
> definitely too vague.
>
> OK. So we learned that lesson. And the maturity model was created. And
> documentation was done.
>
> One very clear sub-lesson is the unwritten rules really don't work when
> there are a large number of new people. Peoples' understanding changes or
> varies even when there is apparent consensus. Unwritten rules are also just
> not visible enough and can't be passed from one newbie to another.
>
> And here we are. Folks are now saying that we need to be a lot looser. That
> there is a lot of leeway in how projects interpret the traditions we have.
> That we should just specify abstract invariants.
>
> A lot of that involves some good ideas. But we need to not just circle back
> to the exact same place we started.
>
> We can damp the pendulum a bit by the following going to a middle ground:
>
> 1) *Add* the abstract principles (aka invariants) to an introduction to our
> documentation.

We can use the cookbook that Bertrand started.

> 2) Use the maturity model. But add a statement that a project could
> negotiate an alternative maturity model during incubation as long as the
> IPMC agrees and it meets the invariants.

I was once a doubter, but I’ve come around. +1

> 3) allow some non-conforming podling releases with special approvals.

See my other email just posted in this thread. I don’t think we need special approvals if we have Mentors guiding the podling towards conformance which we all agree is the final goal. If the podling has issues that need exceptions to the Release Policy then the Mentors should guide them to legal-discuss@ and note any decisions.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 1:02 PM Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

> To close with Justin's bread analogy:  A bread maker that just says "just
> add yeast and flour and water, kneed, let rise and bake" and then makes you
> toss out the results and start over is not going to attract nearly as many
> students as the bread making expert who can more clearly provide
> instructions in a friendly way, helps you catch your mistakes before you go
> too far down the road, and doesn't make you start over except in a few
> extreme cases.  For sure, if you sign up to be a bread making apprentice at
> the most prestigious bakery, then you can expect less leniency and stricter
> standards.  It is up to the ASF to decide if they want the reputation of
> being that picky or not.  I hope not.

And an even better bread maker allows you to make pies for a year (cuz why
not?), knowing you'll eventually be a great bread maker under their
tutelage.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.
I know this isn't the latest posts on this thread, but this is the post that best suits what I want to say.

Almost all of my posts recently have been about trying to determine if all policies must be attached to the same pendulum.  I think I'm seeing from Ted, Roy (in the past), and Hen that some policies are more important than others.

IMO, each policy could be graded under 4 categories:
1) inflexibility/ambiguity - are there different ways to interpret/implement the policy
2) effort to prevent non-compliance
3) cost/effort to fix non-compliance
4) cost/effort of non-compliance

I'm going to assume that the cost of canceling a release candidate is significant, not just in person-time, but momentum, and time due to restarting the 72-hour vote clock.

When a policy has ambiguity, or requires effort to prevent non-compliance, including understanding the policy and how to apply it, and it can result in a high cost effort to fix, you have the perfect storm, and so you'll receive feedback to try to eliminate ambiguity or reduce effort to prevent, or make the policy easier to understand and apply (or improve tools to find non-compliance).  But if it turns out you can simply reduce the cost to fix by not having that policy be a release breaker, then I don't think you'll get as much feedback asking for the policy or tools to be more specific.

I think I see consensus that the only truly important release policies are around:
1) Legal right to distribute.  IMO, this is inflexible, and not ambiguous.  The policy is easy to understand: you either have documentation that says you can distribute each line of code or you don't.  There is effort required to check each line of code, but the cost of non-compliance is significant.
2) No usage restrictions.  IMO, this is inflexible for TLPs.  It is ambiguous only in the sense that new situations could come up that haven't been covered before, but I think we could just list the most common things that cause usage restrictions and that would help folks get a sense of what this is all about.

The only wiggle room in these two may be in the quality of the documents.  It should be ok to ship something where there is general consensus that there is a right to distribute even though the supporting documents aren't perfect.  For example, a file is not listed in an SGA but doesn't really contain anything important, or the words chosen to document a re-licensing from GPL to MIT could be better, or the license was changed from GPL to MIT in every file but one due to a clerical error.

Everything else related to releases could be fixed later, significantly reducing the cost to fix.

And then the only other thing I would suggest beyond that is trying to get advisors to preface advice with "this is how I would (or have) done it", especially for the more ambiguous or hard-to-understand policies.  And that, I think would stop the pendulum from swinging.

For Podlings, the cost of fixing a usage restriction issue can be significant if they have been relying on, say,  a GPL dependency before coming to the ASF.  I hope someone with authority (VP Legal, Board) finally decides that the DISCLAIMER is enough to let podlings have the time to replace that dependency or make it optional.

IMO, the Maturity Model contains a lot of things that are ambiguous because there are multiple ways to implement it.  I think that's totally fine: I thought the ASF was ok with diversity in how projects execute.  And so the introductory materials about the Incubator should state that you may get differing opinions and that is fine.  Maybe the MM should indicate which ones are not flexible (where you shouldn't be getting different advice from different people on how to execute).  I think it would be LC10-40, RE20&30.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Alex, Jim, Bertrand,

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

> On Jun 17, 2019, at 1:25 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hi Roman,
>
> All very true. What the Incubator could do better is to let people know the key values of The Apache Way that will impact any existing community if they come to the ASF through the Incubator. While it will be a community that comes (or doesn’t), it will more likely be a vendor than a community that decides to come to Apache. That will more likely be for the permissive licensing than for community over code.

Certainly prepping the existing community regarding what "moving to the ASF means" is the job of the Champion, no?

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
I think a big and simple thing to consider is that the difference between
success/failure in migrating to Apache TLP is one of attitude -- i.e., the
very same things that the Zipkin community considered to be immensely
frustrating were considered to be immensely frustrating to the NetBeans
community too. However, in the case of the NetBeans community we (1) didn't
have the pre-history of going it alone that Zipkin has, i.e., for Zipkin
there was always the possibility of going back to their independent status
before Apache, while for NetBeans the prior state was Oracle and NetBeans
couldn't go back, it simply needed a governance model and so if it wasn't
going to be Apache it would have been something else, which would have been
frustrating to get into as well, so we just simply persevered until we
adopted everything and accepted everything and (2) Zipkin seems to be less
cohesive than NetBeans and less interested in being cohesive, i.e.,
concerned about laying down things for subgroups that might be averse to
that, while NetBeans is a pretty holistic organism working towards very
similar end goals. So, it's as much the nature of the specifics of a
community or project as it is about the specifics of Apache, the Apache
Way, the Incubator, etc.

Gj

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Roman,

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
It’s not really totally OK. People leaving back to their old place feeling
unhappy and frustrated, how is that totally OK? How positive is that

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 6:58 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> ...I wonder if we agree on the Core issue?...

To me the core issue, as I said in the "overzealous bureaucracy"
thread is that the Incubator is perceived as a stern gatekeeper of the
ASF, due to the way we act in general.

To fix this I suggested there [1] starting by reformulating the
Incubator's goals in a friendlier and service-oriented way.

Once we agree on that, there's many things that we can do, but having
a strong agreement on such basic principles is the start IMO.

-Bertrand

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bee993d70cc29ab412031275571351253ccf59d6dee09e7b9818d779@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

In retrospect this phrase:

"Better documentation, relaxing ASF policy or putting off stuff until graduation might improve things, but probably(sic) doesn't solve the core issue.”

I wonder if we agree on the Core issue? To me the core issue is that starting in the Incubator is hard, intimidating, and presents a steep initial learning curve. But when you say putting stuff off until graduation that is a different issue.

Let’s draw some ASCII graphs.

Which picture is best? (Horizontal is time and vertical closeness to graduation.)

(A) Current view:

  ———
 /
/

(B) Slow and easy:

           __
     __/
__/

(C) Wait until the last minute

              _
             /
______/

I think that prolongs want to be in a (B) pattern. Ones that carefully move through the Incubator have a (B) type experience unless they are already quite experienced in which case they are an (A) and need little guidance from the whole IPMC.

An important point is that these graphs of progress towards graduation are on at least three dimensions:

(1) Apache Release (and Distribution) Policy
(2) Apache Governance
(3) Community Growth

Perhaps a Core issue includes an over focus on (1), when (3) via (2) is IMO more important.

Maybe we need to reorder our curriculum?

Regards,
Dave

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Justin,

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Willem,

There are already tools to help address the most common issues. The common
issues that can't currently be addressed involve human language which is
hard to figure out automatically.

Assuming that these tools can be improved (and they definitely can) who
would you propose do the extending? Remember, nobody is paid to do that.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
It could be a grown pain for the new podlings if they need to go
through 10+ voting, but it could make the life more easier by
providing some tools to help the podling to find out the issues before
sending out the vote.
I know it is harder to provide an unify tool which could be useful for
all kind of project, but it could address most of common issues if
IPMC can build the tools together by sharing our experiences.

Regards,

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
I can see how this can be annoying,

But I also have to see the IPMC workload ... we're raising quite a number of podlings.
Having the votes start in parallel on the podling dev and the general incubator list
would probably not decrease the number of cancelled votes. I would be fine with
allowing parallel votes, if the podlings mentors have voted in favor of the release.

So you start a vote in the podlings dev list and as soon as the mentors have voted +1
You could start the vote in the general incubator list, but not before that.

I mean It's one of the most important jobs of the mentors to thoroughly check the RCs.
If there are realy valid issues for which the vote in the general list is -1ed, that's actually
not really the fault of the Incubator, but could considered the fault of your mentors.
And if these RCs are waived through with serious issues over and over again, I would
Instead start thinking of getting mentors on board, that do the checks before you carry
over.

For exactly that reason I asked Justin to mentor PLC4X when it entered incubation.
He did raise quite a lot of issues, but on the project list and prior to carrying over the
Vote to the general incubator list. And I can't remember a single RC cancelled because
Of IPMC votes on the incubator list.

Chris

Am 17.06.19, 11:15 schrieb "Geertjan Wielenga" <ge...@apache.org>:

    I agree and that’s how I see it too — coming to Apache means the assumption
    that you’re wanting to adopt its culture. However, there are definitely
    very frustrating aspects to that culture. The biggest fix I’d suggest for
    the incubator is parallel voting — i.e., start the PPMC vote and IPMC vote
    at the same time.

    I cannot tell you how many times I’ve wanted to stab myself with a blunt
    instrument in the eye after having to restart the PPMC vote yet again (with
    less and less enthusiasm from the community and thus less voting and more
    time wasting) after an IPMC vote failed yet again on some aspect that the

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:44 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> >...at the Incubator level I think there's
> > way to many unclear or badly documented rules.
>
> Nope, sorry that’s at the ASF level....

I agree, the mess is on both sides ;-)

-Bertrand

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> In principle I would agree, but at the Incubator level I think there's
> way to many unclear or badly documented rules.

Nope, sorry that’s at the ASF level. The IPMC has some documentation that need clearing up and reducing but that’s not the core issue.

> Could we adopt the Maturity Model [1] as the only thing to which
> podlings must conform to to graduate? Do we need more than that?

While I like the Maturity Model and think it’s very useful, several IPMC members are not in favour of making it standard.

> Focusing on such a clearly defined set of rules and removing anything
> from http://incubator.apache.org/ that's not essential

Other than incubating in name, DISCLAIMER  and IPMC voting there’s nothing under http://incubator.apache.org that specifies anything extra that ’s required on top of other ASF policies. Again it’s those policies that podlings need to be in line with by the time they graduate.

thanks,
Justin

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:24 AM Christofer Dutz
<ch...@c-ware.de> wrote:
> ...We have to make them understand that the ASF is more than a GIT repo, CI Server and Mailing lists.
> That the ASF has great things to provide (Legal Shield, Marketing, Infra, ...) but that this only works
> If you play along with some rules we have. Also should we explain WHY these rules are there...

In principle I would agree, but at the Incubator level I think there's
way to many unclear or badly documented rules.

Could we adopt the Maturity Model [1] as the only thing to which
podlings must conform to to graduate? Do we need more than that?

Focusing on such a clearly defined set of rules and removing anything
from http://incubator.apache.org/ that's not essential in that view
might make our podlings life much easier.

-Bertrand

[1] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Geertjan,

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Very interesting talk. It reminds me of Oracle’s donation of OpenOffice.

Would you share your 10 points in text via email?

Best Regards,
Dave

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Re: Incubation Pain Points

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:10 PM Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> ...Here are some thoughts I have to improving Incubation....

FWIW, to give additional context for ASF Members, there was also a
discussion about this started by Incubator PMC members, on the board@
list: http://s.apache.org/zipkin_mentors_feb18

(as mentioned, accessible to ASF Members and PMC Chairs only, but I
think most IPMC members are ASF Members)

-Bertrand