Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Warren W. Thompson" <wt...@altaira.com> on 2002/11/22 19:33:57 UTC

SVG Canvas Brings Window Forward

Hi,

I have observed that when the mouse pointer moves over the JSVGCanvas
object the window that contains it will be moved in front of any other
windows within the application. I have found this issue running on
Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Also, I have reproduced this issue using
both J2SE 1.4.0 and J2SE 1.4.1_01 on both of the afore mentioned
operating systems.

This has become an issue in the application that I am working on
because the instance of the JSVGCanvas resides just below the tool bar.
When a user clicks a button in the tool bar to display another window
in the application and then moves the mouse down from the tool bar to
interact with the new window, the new window is completely obscured
behind the main application window when the mouse passes over the
JSVGCanvas.

The behavior can be easily reproduced by...

  1. Open the Squiggle SVG viewer
  2. Open the memory monitor window
  3. Make sure that the memory monitor window is over and in front of
     the JSVGCanvas in the main Squiggle window, with some of the
     JSVGCanvas still visible behind the memory monitor window
  4. Move the mouse pointer over the partially obscured JSVGCanvas
     and watch as the main Squiggle window pops itself in front
     of and over the memory monitor window, absolutely no clicking
     required

Warren

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                                            --Benjamin Franklin

Re: SVG Canvas Brings Window Forward

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

WT> I originally sent this message awhile ago, does anyone have any
WT> idea what is responsible for this (mis)behavior? I have been able
WT> to combat some of it by using non-modal dialogs instead of
WT> separate frames/windows; however, there is at least one frame that
WT> I cannot convert into a dialog that suffers from the problem
WT> described below.

    I have two pieces of information.

    1) This only appears to happen under JDK 1.4 (JDK 1.3.1 does not
       exhibit this behaviour).

    2) My personal (unconfirmed) suspicion is that this has something
       to do with how we do tool-tips.  If you don't need tooltips you
       might look at modifying the code around
       org/apache/batik/swing/JSVGCanvas.java:1000

       This is a related commit where we fixed a bug for 1.4 in
       this code already (it used to leave around little windows).

       http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-dev/archives/msg03118.html

       I can't think of a way to avoid the 'hack' this code uses, and
       I don't currently use JDK 1.4 so I haven't investigated this
       hunch.

       If this isn't already listed in Bugzilla it would be good of
       you to add it.

WT> Thanks!

    Well I hope this helps a little.

Posted by "Warren W. Thompson" <wt...@altaira.com>.