Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Rose, John B" <jb...@utk.edu> on 2015/08/31 18:16:58 UTC

[users@httpd] TimeOut value question

The TimeOut default value is 60. However, if the web server is just an image server could a reasonable value for TimeOut be 10? 5? 3?

Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] TimeOut value question

Posted by Kurtis Rader <kr...@skepticism.us>.
On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Rose, John B <jb...@utk.edu> wrote:

> The TimeOut default value is 60. However, if the web server is just an
> image server could a reasonable value for TimeOut be 10? 5? 3?

Is there some problem you're trying to solve by tweaking that parameter? If
not you probably don't want change it. Too, there's probably no good reason
to change it since any reasonable value that doesn't cause problems for
legitimate requests is unlikely to protect against a DDOS attack. Having
said that I would agree that the default is needlessly large if your server
only provides static content. A lower value (in the single digits) might,
if you're lucky, mitigate a DDOS attack enough to keep your server from
melting down.

--
Kurtis Rader