Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Christopher Gross <co...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/20 18:45:05 UTC

write.lock

I'm running Solr 3.4.  The past 2 months I've been getting a lot of
write.lock errors.  I switched to the "simple" lockType (and made it
clear the lock on restart), but my index is still locking up a few
times a week.

I can't seem to determine what is causing the locks -- does anyone out
there have any ideas/experience as to what is causing the locks, and
what config changes that I can make in order to prevent the lock?

Any help would be very appreciated!

-- Chris

Re: write.lock

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

We are running exactly same solr version and have these issues relatively
frequently. The main cause in our case has usually been the out of memory
exceptions, as some of our shards are pretty fat. Allocating more RAM
usually helps for a while. The lock file needs to be manually removed
still, unfortunately.

There are also sometimes commit collisions, and we get max warming
searchers exceeded exceptions, but haven't yet figured out, if that may
cause the locking as well.

-- Dmitry

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Christopher Gross <co...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm running Solr 3.4.  The past 2 months I've been getting a lot of
> write.lock errors.  I switched to the "simple" lockType (and made it
> clear the lock on restart), but my index is still locking up a few
> times a week.
>
> I can't seem to determine what is causing the locks -- does anyone out
> there have any ideas/experience as to what is causing the locks, and
> what config changes that I can make in order to prevent the lock?
>
> Any help would be very appreciated!
>
> -- Chris

Dmitry Kan