Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel McGraw <jm...@eldocomp.com> on 2005/01/17 23:02:28 UTC

performance/scalability impact of many webapps in one container

For reasons beyond my control, a web application
(apache/Tomcat/PostgreSQL) that I support will need to be partitioned
into one context per customer (to support one database per customer).
I'm wondering:

1. What the performance implications are (if any) of having up to 300
contexts in one container?

2. Are there any scalability issues of which I should be aware?

TIA,

-Joel

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.

Re: performance/scalability impact of many webapps in one container

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:02:28 -0700, Joel McGraw <jm...@eldocomp.com> wrote:
> For reasons beyond my control, a web application
> (apache/Tomcat/PostgreSQL) that I support will need to be partitioned
> into one context per customer (to support one database per customer).
> I'm wondering:
>
> 1. What the performance implications are (if any) of having up to 300
> contexts in one container?

With Tomcat 5.x, it's ok, it will just use more memory. With 4.x, it's
bad (one background thread per context = 300 background threads).

> 2. Are there any scalability issues of which I should be aware?

- You might have tons of sessions, so increase the VM's memory
- And the usual: one application doing bad things could take the whole
server down, which will be a lot more noticeable for users

--
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Rémy Maucherat

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 03:02:28PM -0700, Joel McGraw wrote:
: For reasons beyond my control, a web application
: (apache/Tomcat/PostgreSQL) that I support will need to be partitioned
: into one context per customer (to support one database per customer).

Do you really need one context per customer, or just one datasource
definition per customer?  If you can share, what's the reasoning behind
this?

: 1. What the performance implications are (if any) of having up to 300
: contexts in one container?

Depends mostly on your hardware (memory, CPU, network bandwidth per
host), attitude towards fault-tolerance, etc.

I've been in situations where clients needed to get just a few apps into
the same container, and that created all sorts of headaches: scheduled
downtime (app A and app B need to coordinate); unscheduled downtime (one
rogue app impacts the entire container; one app's bad JNI call takes out
the entire JVM); version skew (one group wants JDK 1.5, the other is
bound to 1.3 or 1.4); and so on.

You'd do yourself a favor to separate the apps into separate machines as
well as separate JVMs.  If a machine goes down, do you want 10 customers
on the phone or 300? ;)

: 2. Are there any scalability issues of which I should be aware?

Same as the first part of my answer to question #1. -that, and
maintenance: will the app itself be the same code, same version, just
installed 300 times?

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net