Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kerry Thurber <ke...@tucsonembedded.com> on 2013/08/28 18:51:35 UTC

Cannot tell where repository lives

Hello,

I have a problem with my repository.  The person who created it is on vacation, and I have been tasked with adding some pre-commit hooks.

Well, I did, and they work.  But come to find out the structure has been changed.  The old structure is still in place, and responds to the hooks.  The new structure points to a URL on the same virtual machine, but all interaction with the new structure completely ignores the hooks.  For example:

http://mysvnserver/projectbase/newstuff is utterly immune to anything I put in the hooks directory.
http://mysvnserver/projectbase/oldstuff responds perfectly to the hooks I have put in place.

projectbase corresponds to the directory path "/tracsvn/projects/svn/projectbase" on the virtual machine.

My question is, how can this be?  Is it possible that oldstuff and newstuff somehow use separate repositories?  I couldn't find evidence of another repository on this virtual machine.  As per google, my method of looking was to search for "db" directories, and look inside of them to find fs-type files.  (The one I found for the old stuff says that we're using fsfs.)  Is there a better way to do this?  Alternatively, can I somehow query the database to prove that this particular location does or does not contain "newstuff"?

The projectbase corresponding to "oldstuff" contains a "hooks" directory as well as dav, db and locks.  My version is 1.6.6 (r40053)

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Kerry Thurber
Software Engineer
Tucson Embedded Systems
(520) 271-3329

Re: Cannot tell where repository lives

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
Please use Reply All so that your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.

On Aug 29, 2013, at 11:39, Kerry Thurber wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2013, at 3:50 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Aug 28, 2013, at 11:51, Kerry Thurber wrote:
>>
>>> Well, I did, and they work.  But come to find out the structure has been changed.  The old structure is still in place, and responds to the hooks.  The new structure points to a URL on the same virtual machine, but all interaction with the new structure completely ignores the hooks.  For example:
>>>
>>> http://mysvnserver/projectbase/newstuff is utterly immune to anything I put in the hooks directory.
>>> http://mysvnserver/projectbase/oldstuff responds perfectly to the hooks I have put in place.
>>>
>>> projectbase corresponds to the directory path "/tracsvn/projects/svn/projectbase" on the virtual machine.
>>>
>>> My question is, how can this be?  Is it possible that oldstuff and newstuff somehow use separate repositories?
>>
>> Certainly, a server could be configured that way.
>>
>> What is in /tracsvn/projects/svn/projectbase? Is it a repository? Or is it a directory containing multiple repositories?
>>
>> Where did you put your hook scripts?
>>
>> What directives are in your Apache configuration file regarding Subversion?
>

> Hook scripts are in /tracsvn/projects/svn/projectbase/hooks.  Apache configuration file does not conform to docs.  I did determine that the same server is serving both oldstuff and newstuff, because I can make a change to newstuff and the database files reflect the change.  But still scratching my head over why the newstuff is immune to the hooks

Ok, so /tracsvn/projects/svn/projectbase is the one and only repository -- it contains the files README.txt and format and the directories conf, db, hooks and locks? It is not a directory containing other repositories -- it does not contain directories newstuff and/or oldstuff which themselves contain the files README.txt and format and the directories conf, db, hooks and locks?

When you "svn info http://mysvnserver/projectbase/newstuff" and "http://mysvnserver/projectbase/oldstuff " are they the same repository -- do they have the same repository root and uuid?

Re: Cannot tell where repository lives

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.