Posted to user@commons.apache.org by purulu agada <pu...@hotmail.com> on 2003/11/24 22:29:41 UTC

Jelly: Accessing an xml database with jelly

Hi everybody,

Is there something already done to access an XML Database like exist or
xindice with jelly.
I was planning to write custom tags for an application but i would like to
know if it is already implemented.

Thanks

Subnegotiation in Telnet class.

Posted by David Soulayrol <da...@ago.fr>.
Hello.

I'm currently working on a driver for the RFC2217 (Telnet Com Port
Control Option). I'm using the TelnetClient class as ancestor of my main
connection class.

I've got the following problem : the RFC states that it is possible to
send some sommands 'at any time, and multiple times throughout the
Telnet session'. But in the TelnetClient, I can see no way to send
subnegotiation commands once initial subnegotiation was done. To achieve
this, I had to modify the Telnet class to declare _sendSubnegotiation
public.

It's probably not a very good solution. Is there a better way to do this ?

Thanks,
David Soulayrol.

Re: Jelly: Accessing an xml database with jelly

Posted by Bill Keese <bi...@tech.beacon-it.co.jp>.
>> (when you execute this code, the output will be the employee with the
>> name stored in ${myVariable})
>
> I think all tags should offer the possibility to stream it all! That
> is that the result is directly fired as SAX events to the Jelly output.
> This is immensely important for performance!

I definitely agree.  My English was ambiguous.   ${myVariable} is an
input variable, not an output variable.  It specified the name of the
employee you are searching for.

Bill

Re: Jelly: Accessing an xml database with jelly

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
On Mardi, nove 25, 2003, at 01:50 Europe/Paris, Bill Keese wrote:
>> Is there something already done to access an XML Database like exist
>> or xindice with jelly.
>
> I guess the interface you are talking about is
> http://www.xmldb.org/xapi/index.html ?
>
> I've wrote tags in Jelly to talk to Tamino (a commercial XML database).
> Tamino doesn't support XMLDB API, as far as I know, but it has it's
> own API supported in Java, HTTP, and SOAP (among others). The
> interfaces are more complicated than the XMLDB API listed above,
> because they support features such as setting isolation levels,
> fetching via cursors, etc.
>
> The jelly api ended up being something like this:
>
> 	<connect user="foo" password="foo"/>
> 	<xquery> for $e in document()/Employee where $e/name=${myVariable}
> return $e </xquery>
>
> (when you execute this code, the output will be the employee with the
> name stored in ${myVariable})

I think all tags should offer the possibility to stream it all! That is
that the result is directly fired as SAX events to the Jelly output.
This is immensely important for performance!

> Of course for any XML database, just like with SQL databases, the main
> part is not the API, but rather the query/update language (XQuery),
> which is just a "String" as far as the API is concerned.

If I remember well, XUpdate (which is weaker than XQuery if I don't
mistake) has an XML-encoding.
I think such an encoding is actually important if working with external
tools to prepare a query.

Paul

Re: Jelly: Accessing an xml database with jelly

Posted by Bill Keese <bi...@tech.beacon-it.co.jp>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
purulu agada wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is there something already done to access an XML Database like exist or
> xindice with jelly.
> I was planning to write custom tags for an application but i would like
> to know if it is already implemented.

Purulu,

I don't think this has been made yet and it would certainly make a huge
lot of sense!

If I remember well, these databases have a common access specification,
is that correct ? It would be nice to list the ones where it should work
and where it was tested, commercial or not. A good name would be xmldb, or?

How different would this be from, say, a cocoon xindice source ??
(don't know the exact name)

Thanks.

Paul