Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by andres <an...@octopart.com> on 2013/11/06 18:07:17 UTC

Performance Question: 'facets.missing'

I'm debating whether or not to set the 'facets.missing' parameter to true by
default when faceting. What is the performance impact of setting
'facets.missing' to true?

Re: Performance Question: 'facets.missing'

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@heliosearch.com>.
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM, andres <an...@octopart.com> wrote:
> I'm debating whether or not to set the 'facets.missing' parameter to true by
> default when faceting. What is the performance impact of setting
> 'facets.missing' to true?

It really depends on the faceting method.  For some faceting methods
(like enum), the first time on a new view of the index can be somewhat
expensive, but then the set of docs that have a value in the field
should be cached and it will be very cheap.  Other facet methods
should be cheap regardless.

-Yonik
http://heliosearch.com -- making solr shine