Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/25 00:29:31 UTC

Use of JIRA: update

Figured it was time for an update on the JIRA reference subject.

Since the vote to implement the commit hook, I discussed the issue with
infra and they indicated they would be highly unlikely to implement such a
commit hook but would look at it if I decided to do so. I did, but shortly
before I actually posted it another team member replied to say they thought
this was a project level issue we should enforce ourselves, and requiring
infrastructure assistance was going OTT. I posted the commit hook anyway,
but haven't had any activity on the issue since. Perhaps I'll turn it into a
Git commit hook and those who want to can use it locally.but certainly
doesn't look like we will be getting one for SVN. That said, I do agree with
them that we really shouldn't need one.

Here are the numbers since the last commit report was put together:

With JIRA: 198

NO-JIRA: 17

No reference: 16

The exact numbers are a few out because of slightly inaccurate syntax in a
few commits skewing the assigned category, but I decided to leave them as
the script assigned them to highlight the mistakes. The full output is
available as before at:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Commit+List

Overall, a vast improvement I'm sure you will agree, going from ~32% to ~86%
with JIRAs and a further 7% with NO-JIRA. This level of immediate
improvement makes it clear just how easy it should be for us to reach 100%
inclusion even without a commit hook. A few of the 'NO-JIRA's are perhaps
questionable, but progress is progress. The only other thing I noticed worth
mentioning was some of the merges to the 0.10 branch lacking the JIRA
reference which was included in the original commit; it is just as important
for merges and reverts to include the issue reference, particularly if the
original commit did.

Robbie