Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Praveen Peddi <pp...@contextmedia.com> on 2004/07/20 17:28:39 UTC

No change in the indexing time after increase the merge factor

I performed lucene indexing with 25,000 documents.
We feel that indexing is slow, so I am trying to tune it.
My configuration is as follow:
Machine: Windows XP, 1GB RAM, 3GHz
# of documents: 25,000
App Server: Weblogic 7.0
lucene version: lucene 1.4 final

I ran the indexer with merge factor of 10 and 50. Both times, the total indexing time (lucene time only) is almost the same (27.92 mins for mergefactor=10 and 28.11 mins for mergefactor=50).

>From the lucene mails and lucene related articles I read, I thought increasing merge factor will imporve the performance of indexing. Am I wrong?

Praveen

Praveen Peddi
Sr Software Engg, Context Media, Inc.
email:ppeddi@contextmedia.com
Tel:  401.854.3475
Fax:  401.861.3596
web: http://www.contextmedia.com
Context Media- "The Leader in Enterprise Content Integration"

Re: No change in the indexing time after increase the merge factor

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
All Lucene articles that I know of were written before
IndexWriter.minMergeDocs was added.  Check IndexWriter javadoc for more
info, but this is another field you can tune.

Otis