Posted to dev@any23.apache.org by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org> on 2012/06/20 11:15:59 UTC

Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (Fwd: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project Proposals needed)

What about a semantic web track at ApacheCon?

Cheers,
Reto

From: "Nick Burch" <ni...@alfresco.com>
Date: Jun 19, 2012 8:16 PM
Subject: Podling forward needed: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project
Proposals needed
To: <pr...@incubator.apache.org>

Hi All

Could mentors please forward this to their podlings, with help as needed? I
don't expect very many podlings to put on their own tracks (only OOo
springs to mind), but many podlings would be a good fit for a broader track
with other related TLPs. Please encourage them to get involved in these
cross project track submissions, for their subject areas!

Thanks
Nick

Posted by Marco Neumann <ma...@gmail.com>.
Semantic Web certainly doesn't address semantics in the sense fields
such as linguistics, semiotics or psychology do. that will take
another couple of decades to come to fruition.

But the Semantic Web as a name, and just that, works just fine. The
W3C continues to describe the Semantic Web as a web of data. The work
at the W3C is conducted as part of the W3C SEMANTIC WEB ACTIVITY.  The
Linked Data Platform Working Group is one of the active groups in the
Semantic Web activity.

The origin of the rift in the community lies in the initial emphasis
on formal semantics / logics in the Semantic Web activity up to
2003/2004 with little impact and adoption on the World Wide Web.

Linked Data on the other hand was introduced by Tim and focuses on
lightweight formal semantics / logic and quantity of available data
endpoints on the world wide web to bootstrap adoption.

--

---
Marco Neumann

Join us at SemTech Biz in New York City October 15-17, 2012 and save
15% with code STMN
http://www.lotico.com/evt/SemTechBizNYC2012

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (Fwd: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project Proposals needed)

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (EU)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 20/06/12 10:34, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> 2012/6/20 Bertrand Delacretaz<bd...@apache.org>
>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür<re...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> What about a semantic web track at ApacheCon?
>>

> +1, it sounds very good Reto.
>

>> I like the idea, and would like it even better if it was called
>> "linked data", "web of data" of anything that does not include the
>> word "semantic".
>>
>> -Bertrand (with my marketing hat on ;-)
>>

> ahah couldn't agree more :-)
>
> Tommaso

+1 to a track
+1 for Linked Data

	Andy

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (EU)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 20/06/12 10:34, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> 2012/6/20 Bertrand Delacretaz<bd...@apache.org>
>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür<re...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> What about a semantic web track at ApacheCon?
>>

> +1, it sounds very good Reto.
>

>> I like the idea, and would like it even better if it was called
>> "linked data", "web of data" of anything that does not include the
>> word "semantic".
>>
>> -Bertrand (with my marketing hat on ;-)
>>

> ahah couldn't agree more :-)
>
> Tommaso

+1 to a track
+1 for Linked Data

	Andy

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (Fwd: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project Proposals needed)

Posted by Pablo Mendes <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for "Web of Data" or "Linked Data"

Cheers,
Pablo

Posted by John Pereira <jo...@salzburgresearch.at>.
Great idea.

Posted by Luca Dini <di...@celi.it>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 20/06/12 10:34, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> 2012/6/20 Bertrand Delacretaz<bd...@apache.org>
>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür<re...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> What about a semantic web track at ApacheCon?
>>

> +1, it sounds very good Reto.
>

>> I like the idea, and would like it even better if it was called
>> "linked data", "web of data" of anything that does not include the
>> word "semantic".
>>
>> -Bertrand (with my marketing hat on ;-)
>>

> ahah couldn't agree more :-)
>
> Tommaso

+1 to a track
+1 for Linked Data

	Andy

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (EU)

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 20/06/12 10:34, Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> 2012/6/20 Bertrand Delacretaz<bd...@apache.org>
>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür<re...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> What about a semantic web track at ApacheCon?
>>

> +1, it sounds very good Reto.
>

>> I like the idea, and would like it even better if it was called
>> "linked data", "web of data" of anything that does not include the
>> word "semantic".
>>
>> -Bertrand (with my marketing hat on ;-)
>>

> ahah couldn't agree more :-)
>
> Tommaso

+1 to a track
+1 for Linked Data

	Andy

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (Fwd: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project Proposals needed)

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Germesin <se...@dfki.de>.
well, it will be submitted at the "Semantic Web" track... I think that covers the
*semantic* part enough...

+1 for "linked web of data"

Best,

Sebastian

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
+1 - no matter how it is called

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (Fwd: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project Proposals needed)

Posted by Pablo Mendes <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Iavor Jelev <ia...@babelmonkeys.com>.
Meant "Web of Data" of course :)

Posted by Iavor Jelev <ia...@babelmonkeys.com>.

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.
2012/6/20 Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>:

> On 20 Jun 2012, at 10:31, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> What about a semantic web track at ApacheCon?
>>
>> I like the idea, and would like it even better if it was called
>> "linked data", "web of data" of anything that does not include the
>> word "semantic".
>
> Except ... semantic web is the widely-known name.  Omitting the name
> would be perverse, and could tend to hide it from anyone without
> prior knowledge.

"semantic web" scares regular developers away as complicated
rule-based reasoning systems and hide the goodness of simple stuff
such as JSON-LD, RDFa Lite, reusable data vocabularies such as
schema.org and friends.

+1 for "Web of Data".

--
Olivier

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (Fwd: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project Proposals needed)

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Germesin <se...@dfki.de>.

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.

Posted by Sebastian Germesin <se...@dfki.de>.

Posted by Sebastian Germesin <se...@dfki.de>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Reto Bachmann-Gmür <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marco Neumann <ma...@gmail.com>.
just semantics Bertrand ...

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
The first "private" mail from Nick Burch explicitely suggested to send
questions to the public list apachecon-discuss.

A public archive for the mailing list apachecon-discuss is available here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-apachecon-discuss/

In other words: Reto did nothing wrong - quite the opposite.

Cheers,
Andreas
---

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Could people subscribe to lists before sending please?  Approving one of
two messages is OK - this isn't one or two messages :-)

Or do we need a single place for discussing this?

	Andy

Re: Semantic Web track at ApacheCon (Fwd: Tracks for ApacheCon Europe - Project Proposals needed)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marco Neumann <ma...@gmail.com>.
But I like the idea and happy to participate the effort.