Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Chen <qu...@cs.berkeley.edu> on 2004/12/31 05:57:53 UTC

svn diff -r REV when REV==BASE

Hi,

Is there a reason "svn diff -r REV", when REV is the numeric BASE
revision, is a remote operation, while "svn diff -r BASE" is a
local operation?

--
Karl 2004-12-30 21:53

Re: svn diff -r REV when REV==BASE

Posted by Karl Chen <qu...@cs.berkeley.edu>.

    Greg> On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 00:57, Karl Chen wrote:
    >> Is there a reason "svn diff -r REV", when REV is the
    >> numeric BASE revision, is a remote operation, while "svn
    >> diff -r BASE" is a local operation?

    Greg> Because working copies can have mixed revisions, it
    Greg> would require a lot more cleverness on the part of the
    Greg> client library to make "svn diff -r <what happens to be
    Greg> the base rev>" a local operation.

I see, I hadn't thought about mixed-revision working copies.
Thanks for the reply.

(I was thinking about diffs on single files, i.e. "svn diff -r
<what happens to be BASE> file".  The reason I asked was because
vc-svn.el does "svn diff -r <what happens to be BASE> file"
instead of "svn diff file" -- quite unusable when off-line.  I did
consider this to be more easily fixed by vc-svn.el so I did submit
a patch to Emacs before asking Subversion.  I thought it could be
a nice harmless improvement to all clients, but I suppose it's not
worth worrying about.)

--
Karl 2005-01-01 20:35

Re: svn diff -r REV when REV==BASE