Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Hardi Gunawan <ha...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/28 08:33:53 UTC

How to manage a project with multiple users

Hi,

I'm currently taking a J2EE school course which
involves 5 people to do coding.  Previously I've never
used Subversion for more than 1 person.  Now with 5
person, I'm not quite sure how to do it and I need
some advise on the best practices.

Should I create a directory for each of us, and use
svn:externals to get each other's portion?

Or do I just create one directory and everyone is
using that, even though there will be a possibility
that one person can overwrite another's code (well,
not exactly overwritten as the old version is still in
the repository).

Regards,

Hardi

Re: How to manage a project with multiple users

Posted by Erik Naasner <e....@goepel.com>.
Hi Hardy,

the manual is a good starting point to understand how subversion works.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html

Cheers,
Erik

Posted by William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com>.
Hardi,

> I'm currently taking a J2EE school course which
> involves 5 people to do coding.  Previously I've never
> used Subversion for more than 1 person.  Now with 5
> person, I'm not quite sure how to do it and I need
> some advise on the best practices.

You really probably need to read something that goes into a lot of
depth on Subversion and version control.  I'd suggest taking a look
at one or more of the books on Subversion listed here:  http://
subversion.tigris.org/links.html

I'm of course partial to the one that I wrote (the one with the
ridiculously long name), but I've also heard from some people that
"Pragmatic Version Control using Subversion" is an excellent choice
for those with almost no background in using version control (as it
sounds is the case for you).

Both my book and the O'Reilly book are available as free downloads.

> Should I create a directory for each of us, and use
> svn:externals to get each other's portion?

This would really only make sense if the different portions are
really separate projects that reference each other.

> Or do I just create one directory and everyone is
> using that, even though there will be a possibility
> that one person can overwrite another's code (well,
> not exactly overwritten as the old version is still in
> the repository).

I'd give this a qualified yes.  You do probably want to be working
within a single directory structure, but you also need to have a
process in place so that there's some coordination of who's working
on what.

Also, when a person updates before committing (which they have to do
if someone else has committed a conflicting change) they'll get any
conflicts locally and can fix them before they commit.

-Bill