Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> on 2005/12/17 17:52:54 UTC

SVN layout

Before we import any code I think we should give a little thought to how
we would like to lay out the repository. With the number of bits and at
least two different languages this will be a little trickier than usual.

I think that it is important that someone can checkout a single URL and
expect to get to work. That means that all the things they are likely to
be working on should be grouped together. However, this should not
result in multiple versions of a project being checked out due to SVN
tags being located together.

It should also be easy to tag/branch a module so that people can work on
revolutionary changes in a private area without having to check out the
entire tree.

With that in mind, I'd like to suggest the following initial tree under
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/

site     # tree for the website
java     # main development tree for Java implementation
  java/spec/...     # tree for spec artifacts
  java/sdo/...      # tree for the SDO runtime
  java/das/...      # tree for the DAS runtime
  java/sca/...      # tree for the SCA runtime
  java/tools/...    # tree for tools
  java/samples/...  # tree for samples of all technologies
  java/testing/...  # tree for acceptance/compatibility testsuite
cxx      # main development tree for C++ (structure like java tree)
branches/${branchName}/...    # a copy of any subtree from above
tags/${tagName}/...           # a tag of any subtree above
sandbox/${name}/...           # a experimental copy of any subtree

This is close to the current layout with a few minor changes.
Thoughts?
--
Jeremy

Re: SVN layout

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Good suggestion.  Having both the "by component" and "higher-level
aggregate" packaging for tests and samples makes sense to me.

Similarly, we should place any DAS-specific tests and samples under
the /java/das/ directory.

    Simon

--
Simon C Nash   IBM Distinguished Engineer
Hursley Park, Winchester, UK   nash@hursley.ibm.com

Re: SVN layout

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
Kenneth Tam wrote:
> +1 for this, but I don't think the two layouts are actually in conflict.
>
> I completely agree SDO and SCA should build/test/package/potentially
> ship separately, and the directory structure should support that.  I
> think:
>
> cpp/sca/
> cpp/sdo/
> java/sca/
> java/sdo/
>
> is the right place to start.  As far as samples and test, I think it
> makes sense for each of the above directories to have "samples" and
> "test" subdirs for their specific tests,

Agreed - I was assuming Maven's convention that tests associated with
the build would be located in each module. These would be run every time
we built.

> but it also makes sense for:
>
> cpp/
> java/
>
> to have their own "samples" and "test" subdirs to hold integration
> tests and samples across that language's implementations.  Ultimately
> it might even make sense to add infrastructure into there to support
> cross language testing/samples.

That was what I had in mind - similar to the "acceptance" tree in the
old codebase. Tests here would be more stable and would be run before a
release or other development milestone (like nightly).

--
Jeremy

Re: SVN layout

Posted by Kenneth Tam <ke...@gmail.com>.