Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Dave Barnes <db...@apache.org> on 2016/09/30 23:03:11 UTC

Geode docs: location of donated source files

Please help me understand the source-control setup for the donated Geode
docs.
Per the announcement:
> The donated source currently sits in a separate branch in the Geode
repository named staging/docs-grant1

I see when I check out the staging branch that the dozen or so user manual
source directories are located at the topmost level of the repo,
interspersed with source code directories. Another four individual files
are placed at the top level, also, including a README.md that overwrites
the README.md for the Geode code that I see when I'm working on the develop
branch.

I think it would be easier to find the files and distinguish them from
source code if they were located in their own subdirectory, maybe
'geode-docs' for example. This would be helpful during the comment period,
as well as later when the docs have been accepted as part of the main repo.
- To what extent is the directory structure dictated by Apache precedent?
- Can the locations be changed during the comment period?
- If not, can the locations be changed after the comment period, before the
branch is merged into the main repo?

Thanks,
Dave Barnes

Re: Geode docs: location of donated source files

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.
Thanks, everyone, for the clarifications.
I consolidated the doc donation files under a single directory called
'geode-docs' on branch feature/GEODE-1952.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
Actually, it looks like the staging/docs-grant1 branch has *only* the docs
files, not anything else. If you are seeing directories like geode-core in
your local checkout of the branch, it's probably because you had build
artifacts in those directories and git left the directory around when you
switched branches. I don't see any geode-* directories when I get a clean
checkout or look at the branch on github
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-geode/tree/staging/docs-grant1>.