Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by "Perko, Ralph J" <Ra...@pnnl.gov> on 2014/11/19 18:18:29 UTC

query timeouts

Hi,
When using the subquery feature I continually get, what appear to be, RPC timeout errors on the larger queries.  Queries that only return a few results do great, returning in just a few seconds, but queries that I expect to return 3 or 4K results are timing out.

Query:
select * from TABLE1 where (file_id,recnum) in (select file_id, recnum from TABLE1 where ipaddress in(ip1,ip2,ip3,ip4));

Error: PhoenixIOException:  Failed after retry of OutOfOrderScannerNextException: was there a rpc timeout?

I have tried setting both:

hbase.rpc.timeout=3600000
phoenix.query.timeoutMs=3600000

Both on the server and client and the settings aren't sticking

Questions:

1)      Are these the correct settings?

2)      On the client side I am using <phoenix-home>/bin/hbase-site.xml   - is that correct?

Hbase 0.98
Phoenix 4.2
7B recs on 30 nodes
Using both sqlline.py and psql.py

Thank you for your help,
Ralph

Re: query timeouts

Posted by Maryann Xue <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,

I am not sure if the problem is Phoenix specific. Looks to me that it might
be related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-11295.

However, this setting value seems to be too large. If the default 60000 ms
for "hbase.rpc.timeout" is not working, you might want to multiply the
value by 2 or 4 and see if that will help. And it actually not matter what
physical location you put your configuration file in, but you have to make
sure that the file is included in your Phoeinx client classpath.

Thanks,
Maryann

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Perko, Ralph J <Ra...@pnnl.gov>
wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> When using the subquery feature I continually get, what appear to be, RPC
> timeout errors on the larger queries.  Queries that only return a few
> results do great, returning in just a few seconds, but queries that I
> expect to return 3 or 4K results are timing out.
>

> Query:
>
> select * from TABLE1 where (file_id,recnum) in (select file_id, recnum
> from TABLE1 where ipaddress in(ip1,ip2,ip3,ip4));
>

> Error: PhoenixIOException:  Failed after retry of
> OutOfOrderScannerNextException: was there a rpc timeout?
>

> I have tried setting both:
>

> hbase.rpc.timeout=3600000
>
> phoenix.query.timeoutMs=3600000
>

> Both on the server and client and the settings aren’t sticking
>

> Questions:
>

> 1)      Are these the correct settings?
>
> 2)      On the client side I am using <phoenix-home>/bin/hbase-site.xml
> - is that correct?
>

> Hbase 0.98
>
> Phoenix 4.2
>
> 7B recs on 30 nodes