Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by hari hari <ha...@hotmail.com> on 2002/09/25 18:30:48 UTC

simplest Servlet-jdbc not working

hi,

i having simplest of Servlet program (DBServlet.java) which is trying to
connecting to my ORCL DB.
my Application and DB Server are sit on different machines. I having my JDBC
Drivers (in ZIP format) on my App Server installed with CLASSPATH.

when I trying to run i getting below errors: police helping me
# java DBServlet
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main
#

import java.io.*;
import java.sql.*;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;

public class DBServlet extends HttpServlet {

private Connection con;
private PrintWriter out;
private String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@MY_IP_ADDRESS:1521:MY_SID";

public void init(ServletConfig conf)
        throws ServletException {
    super.init(conf);
    try{

       //Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver");
       //con =DriverManager.getConnection(url, "scott", "tiger");
    }catch(Exception e) {
            System.err.println(e);
    }
}

public void service(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
    throws ServletException, IOException {
    res.setContentType("text/html");
    try {
        out = res.getWriter();
        out.println("<html>");
        out.println("<head>");
        out.println("<title> Sample JDBC Servlet Demo" + "</title>");
        out.println("</head>");
        out.println("<body>");

        Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver");
        con =DriverManager.getConnection(url, "scott", "tiger");
        Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
        ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("select * from emp");
        out.println("<UL>");
        while(rs.next()) {
            out.println("<LI>" +  rs.getString("EName"));
        }
        out.println("</UL>");
        rs.close();
        stmt.close();
    } catch(Exception e) { System.err.println(e);    }
      out.println("</body>");
      out.println("</html>");
      out.close();
}

--
HARI

Re: simplest Servlet-jdbc not working

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Hello hari,

Are you trying to run this on the command line or something?  That is
the only reason I can think of for it trying to run "main".

Jake

Wednesday, September 25, 2002, 11:30:48 AM, you wrote:

hh> hi,

hh> i having simplest of Servlet program (DBServlet.java) which is trying to
hh> connecting to my ORCL DB.
hh> my Application and DB Server are sit on different machines. I having my JDBC
hh> Drivers (in ZIP format) on my App Server installed with CLASSPATH.

hh> when I trying to run i getting below errors: police helping me
hh> # java DBServlet
hh> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main
hh> #

hh> import java.io.*;
hh> import java.sql.*;
hh> import javax.servlet.*;
hh> import javax.servlet.http.*;

hh> public class DBServlet extends HttpServlet {

hh> private Connection con;
hh> private PrintWriter out;
hh> private String url = "jdbc:oracle:thin:@MY_IP_ADDRESS:1521:MY_SID";

hh> public void init(ServletConfig conf)
hh>         throws ServletException {
hh>     super.init(conf);
hh>     try{

hh>        //Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver");
hh>        //con =DriverManager.getConnection(url, "scott", "tiger");
hh>     }catch(Exception e) {
hh>             System.err.println(e);
hh>     }
hh> }

hh> public void service(HttpServletRequest req, HttpServletResponse res)
hh>     throws ServletException, IOException {
hh>     res.setContentType("text/html");
hh>     try {
hh>         out = res.getWriter();
hh>         out.println("<html>");
hh>         out.println("<head>");
hh>         out.println("<title> Sample JDBC Servlet Demo" + "</title>");
hh>         out.println("</head>");
hh>         out.println("<body>");

hh>         Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver");
hh>         con =DriverManager.getConnection(url, "scott", "tiger");
hh>         Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
hh>         ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery("select * from emp");
hh>         out.println("<UL>");
hh>         while(rs.next()) {
hh>             out.println("<LI>" +  rs.getString("EName"));
hh>         }
hh>         out.println("</UL>");
hh>         rs.close();
hh>         stmt.close();
hh>     } catch(Exception e) { System.err.println(e);    }
hh>       out.println("</body>");
hh>       out.println("</html>");
hh>       out.close();
hh> }