Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2023/04/01 19:48:28 UTC

Re: Arrow community meeting March 29 at 16:00 UTC

Below is a summary of the notes from this week's meeting:

Attendees:

 - Ian Cook
 - Will Jones
 - David Li
 - Rok Mihevc
 - Sri Nadukudy
 - Dane Pitkin

Questions about versioning, packaging, releasing the Rust ADBC API [1]
 - ADBC drivers are packaged in native language, and can also be
released in Conda as well as within Python wheels
 - If a Rust driver were created, it could be released along with a
Python wheel if we wanted, and could be versioned and released with
the Rust library if desired
 - ADBC libraries and drivers are coupled in version for convenience
of release process

Plasma has been removed from Arrow [2]
 - Further discussion about alternatives is welcome in [3]

Arrow 12.0.0 release
- Planned code freeze around April 10
- Plan is for Raúl and Kou to collaborate to manage the release

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow-adbc/pull/478
[2] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/34718
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/lk277x3b9gjol42sjg27bst2ggm5s0j2