Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dhruva B. Reddy" <sl...@yahoo.com> on 2004/09/29 21:21:16 UTC

Using shutdown script for different port

I am running two instances of Tomcat 4.1 on one machine, from a common
installation (i.e., different CATALINA_BASE).  I have the shutdown
service  for each instance listening on a different port (the original
instance on the default port of 8005, and the second instance on 8015).

Getting the instances to listen on a different port was easy, but I
can't seem to find any information on how to actually specify a
non-default port in the shutdown script.  Some documentation that I did
manage to find suggested the following would work:

    shutdown.sh port 8015

but I get the usage message when I try that.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks,
Dhruva

AW: Using shutdown script for different port

Posted by Steffen Heil <li...@steffen-heil.de>.
Hi

> Some documentation that I did manage to find suggested the following would
work:
>     shutdown.sh port 8015
> but I get the usage message when I try that.

I cannot tell you for shutdown.sh, but for me it works that way:

catalina.sh start  == to start as daemon
catalina.sh stop  == to stop daemon
catalina.sh run    == to run against console

start|stop options read the configuration and use the right port
automagically.

Regards,
  Steffen

RE: Using shutdown script for different port

Posted by Steve Kirk <to...@web-startup.co.uk>.
You can certainly telnet to the shutdown port and send the shutdown string.
You could do this using a scripting tool or simple Java class. For example,
telnet to localhost 8015 then send the string "shutdown", or whatever string
is configured in server.xml for that port.