Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Nathan Hamilton <ne...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/10 18:55:45 UTC

Cygwin build issue (circular dependency?)

A clean checkout and autogen.sh -> configure -> make of both the
1.5.xbranch and trunk is terminating with the following error on
cygwin:

/c/dev/subversion-1.5.x/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/tree.c:3017: undefined
reference to `_svn_fs_root_fs'

Some further investigation shows the following possible circular dependency:

subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/tree.c:3017: svn_fs_root_fs ->
subversion/libsvn_fs/fs-loader.c
subversion/libsvn_fs/fs-loader.c:71: svn_fs_fs__init ->
subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/fs.c

Cygwin seems to be the only platform that has a problem with circular
dependencies for linking.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or have others
had trouble building on cygwin recently?

Re: Cygwin build issue (circular dependency?)

Posted by David Rothenberger <da...@acm.org>.
On 4/5/2008 9:56 AM, David James wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:19 AM, David James <ja...@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Nathan Hamilton <ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > A clean checkout and autogen.sh -> configure -> make of both the 1.5.x
>>  > branch and trunk is terminating with the following error on cygwin:
>>  >
>>  > /c/dev/subversion-1.5.x/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/tree.c:3017: undefined
>>  > reference to `_svn_fs_root_fs'
>>  >
>>  > Some further investigation shows the following possible circular dependency:
>>  >
>>  > subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/tree.c:3017: svn_fs_root_fs ->
>>  > subversion/libsvn_fs/fs-loader.c
>>  > subversion/libsvn_fs/fs-loader.c:71: svn_fs_fs__init ->
>>  > subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/fs.c
>>  >
>>  > Cygwin seems to be the only platform that has a problem with circular
>>  > dependencies for linking.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or have others
>>  > had trouble building on cygwin recently?
>>
>>  Hi Nathan,
>>
>>  You're absolutely right -- there's a circular dependency here in
>>  Subversion 1.5 (since r27741). I committed a fix to trunk in r30340.
>>  Can you try building trunk again with my fix?
>
> (NOTE: I fixed a few more circular dependencies in r30342. So try with
> that rev instead)

Thanks for these fixes.

I'm trying to build 1.5.0-rc5 under Cygwin with support for ra_serf. I
found a similar issue in lib_svn_ra_serf/log.c -- svn_ra_has_capability
needs to be replaced with a call to svn_ra_serf__has_capability.

                 -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Re: Cygwin build issue (circular dependency?)

Posted by David James <ja...@cs.toronto.edu>.
On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 9:19 AM, David James <ja...@cs.toronto.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Nathan Hamilton <ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > A clean checkout and autogen.sh -> configure -> make of both the 1.5.x
>  > branch and trunk is terminating with the following error on cygwin:
>  >
>  > /c/dev/subversion-1.5.x/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/tree.c:3017: undefined
>  > reference to `_svn_fs_root_fs'
>  >
>  > Some further investigation shows the following possible circular dependency:
>  >
>  > subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/tree.c:3017: svn_fs_root_fs ->
>  > subversion/libsvn_fs/fs-loader.c
>  > subversion/libsvn_fs/fs-loader.c:71: svn_fs_fs__init ->
>  > subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/fs.c
>  >
>  > Cygwin seems to be the only platform that has a problem with circular
>  > dependencies for linking.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or have others
>  > had trouble building on cygwin recently?
>
>  Hi Nathan,
>
>  You're absolutely right -- there's a circular dependency here in
>  Subversion 1.5 (since r27741). I committed a fix to trunk in r30340.
>  Can you try building trunk again with my fix?

(NOTE: I fixed a few more circular dependencies in r30342. So try with
that rev instead)

Cheers,

David

Re: Cygwin build issue (circular dependency?)

Posted by David James <ja...@cs.toronto.edu>.
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Nathan Hamilton <ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A clean checkout and autogen.sh -> configure -> make of both the 1.5.x
> branch and trunk is terminating with the following error on cygwin:
>
> /c/dev/subversion-1.5.x/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/tree.c:3017: undefined
> reference to `_svn_fs_root_fs'
>
> Some further investigation shows the following possible circular dependency:
>
> subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/tree.c:3017: svn_fs_root_fs ->
> subversion/libsvn_fs/fs-loader.c
> subversion/libsvn_fs/fs-loader.c:71: svn_fs_fs__init ->
> subversion/libsvn_fs_fs/fs.c
>
> Cygwin seems to be the only platform that has a problem with circular
> dependencies for linking.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or have others
> had trouble building on cygwin recently?

Hi Nathan,

You're absolutely right -- there's a circular dependency here in
Subversion 1.5 (since r27741). I committed a fix to trunk in r30340.
Can you try building trunk again with my fix?

Thanks,

David

Re: Cygwin build issue (circular dependency?)

Posted by Nathan Hamilton <ne...@gmail.com>.
The "--disable-shared" flag worked for me.  Thanks for the tip.

I'm still curious as to the original build problem, though. Is it a valid
dependency issue?

Posted by jeremy hinds <je...@gmail.com>.