Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2012/10/01 19:42:00 UTC

Re: git commit: Worked around a Whisker bug for the LICENSE file.

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> The copyright symbols seem to be causing encoding issues. We can drop them
> if that is a concern. (Copyright law treats "Copyright" and "(C)"
> identically. You only need one, not both. And by "(C)" I mean the copyright
> symbol. A "C" in parenthesis means nothing. Amusingly enough.)
>
> Also, putting year ranges in the copyright statements is meaningless. We
> should pick the latest year of release at the time the code was imported.
>
> So, for example:
>
> Copyright 2012, The Apache Software Foundation
>

> Instead of:
>
> Copyright © 2004-2012 The Apache Software Foundation
>

> (Anyway. This is just an my personal opinion and not an Apache policy
> thing. Feel free to ignore me!)

I chose to err on the side of respecting the specific way that other
projects have established the text for their copyright notices vs.
modifying it for the actual year that the code was pulled in.

-chip

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Yes, probably a good call, based on some things I read recently. Thanks!

--
NS